*UPDATE* Post #24 Sounds kinda like a yipping hyena?

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I live in an old, established neighborhood. Late in the evenings I have been hearing some really strange sounds.
It sounds like more than one animal. They sound excited, and some of the many vocalizations sound almost like a hyena.
I've seen screech owls, opossums, groundhogs, rabbits, skunks and raccoons in the area. Someone said they saw a red fox several blocks away last summer.
sad.png
Last night the mystery critters were next door where they throw handsful of seed and peanuts out for squirrels and birds. I hate to even think about it, but what do foxes sound like? I assumed these mixed chortling, high-pitched sounds were raccoons, perhaps w/ their young. This does not sound like the raccoon and babies I've heard in the past.
Thanks in advance...

P.S. What might be hunting mice which might be attracted to the seed? Coons and what else that fits the description?
Please don't say foxes...
fl.gif

Last edited:
Could it be coyotes? I know when they get together they can really make a raucous, especially when they have pups in the pack.

Foxes can sound like a woman or child screaming. I hate their calls, but have grown used to them. Foxes have a few different calls. You can go on YouTube and hear different fox calls. Foxes have moved in around here, so I hear them quite frequently. I remember hearing their call for the first time and trying to figure out it someone was hurt out in the woods or not -- it was a fox making it's screaming woman call. It used to give me the willies! Foxes can also cause quite a raucous when mating or just hanging out together.

Last edited:
I'm sure this doesn't help, but I couldn't resist the suggestion.
Here in the country, the neighborhood dogs make all sorts of crazy wild sounding abnormal howling yipes at night. I clicked the thread because I also asked once this same question. Having been raised with big dogs my whole life, folks were a breeder, mom worked at the vet and I tagged along, and now having a 5 pack myself... I just had never heard ANYTHING like this. I hope it's nothing serious for you too but I was chuckling to myself, since I never even guessed it could have been dogs here. LOL.

Hoping its something NOT scary for you!!!!

Pretty sure it's not dogs. My dogs would have been going nuts barking. They were oddly quite, I think they too, were perplexed. There are never strays around here, and this has happened a few nights almost in a row, around the same time, late, after midnight.
I was too frightened to go and flashlight them, as I would have to climb a ladder in the dark, with who knows what was out there!
hide.gif

Last edited:
Raccoons make a churring noise like a loud purr but they can scream especially when fighting. Foxes bark and yap depending on species. Don't count out coyotes, they are every place even in the downtowns of cities and they can be quite vocal.

Back
Top Bottom