1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*update post #6* How long after starting oyster shell and yogurt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Oct 14, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    should I see stronger eggs?

I've gotten 3 eggs from my sex link in a week and a half, each time the shells were brittle to mushy. Two of them were already broken by the time I got there [​IMG] I will say at least she does lay in or around a nest unlike my other two [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I've heard (read) it takes 3 days for any diet change to take effect. True or not, I do not know! [​IMG]

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    The hen uses calcium in her blood stream to form the shell. If their is insufficient calcium, she has to take it from her bones which takes longer to process. My experience is soft or brittle shells are normally laid first thing in the morning, when the hen hasn't had anything to eat to increase her calcium levels in her blood. Increasing the calcium in her diet works but seems to take a couple of days. Three days is probably a good estimate.

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay [​IMG] I'm on day five. Guess I'll just keep feeding it to her and hope it works. The eggs do seem to be laid first thing in the AM.

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Here's a good article on factors affecting egg laying from the Univ of Florida.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/ps/ps02900.pdf

Of note, the article says that larger oyster shell grit gives a slower release to the hen's system and may eliminate the first laid egg in the morning problems.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So after a week of pumping that poor girl full of yogurt, dark leafy greens, cottage cheese, and oyster shell. I finally got a solid egg, though I must admit it took an hour and 15 minutes and she seemed pretty freaked out.

[​IMG]
    IMAG1192 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMAG1202 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    its huge...a double yolker....how long has she been laying?

If she is fairly new to it, it takes a couple weeks for the soft shelled eggs to disappear...and double yolkers usually stop after a month or so.

she should adjust and start giving you great shelled eggs soon enough without all the TLC

8. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Supposedly she's between 12 and 18 months, she's been laying for awhile according to the last owner. It's really not that big, I think it's just my DD's small hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by