Update post #9 droopy wing, weird poop, not active,....

AN

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Texas-South of DFW area
*****NEW QUESTION****If i want to do a molassas flush is it ok to do this at night or should i wait until morning? She is still acting about the same. I did dust her with poultry dust incase of mites or lice...and treated the coop with spray, and dusted her sisters.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Polish bantam, 6 months (25-26 wks)

2) What is the behavior, exactly. she has not been pecking around with the other chicks, she sits alot, sometimes she lets her wings hang down, she will only walk a few steps then sit down. or just stand there. Sometimes she puffs herself up.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No that i can see

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. The only thing out of the norm is the 7 inches of rain we have gotten in the past 3 days.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. i scrambled her an egg and water. She ate about 1/2 the egg

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. it is very very bright green, with a white area, with a little mucasy (almost like egg white ) the grn white was firm and then had the little mucas area around it.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?i just brought her in the house about an hour ago so i could watch her closely, (dont know what to do)

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?i would like to treat her myself (dont tell hubby but yes i will take her to the vet if she does not get better)

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will take a pic of her in a bit.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. she is in a coop at night and free ranges during the day in our back yard, nest boxes have pine shaving. As i stated before it has been rainging for 3 days, there is stading water everywhere and their run is flooded, but coop is dry. I have opened the garage and moved the food and water into the garage for now. (blocked of part of garage so they cant get into anything)

I should also note that she has laided 2 eggs about 2 weeks ago and if she is still laying i have yet to find the eggs, i thought maybe she was egg bound but with her droopy wing and BRIGHT green poop now im not sure.

She is my fav and it is breaking my heart. TIA for the help.
The poo does not look as bright in the pics but i dug it out of the trash, and is a bit old.
DSC02238.jpg
DSC02235.jpg
DSC02237.jpg

Last edited:
I normally dont advise meds straight off, but in this case I would separate her and put her on a course of sulmet.
I would also go to the pet store and in the bird section get some baby parrot/bird formula (this is a powder you mix with water to make a porridge consistency > it is for feeding baby parrots/sick birds)
> mix that in with your bird age appropriate normal feed to concentrate the nutrition since she is not eating enough.

Last edited:
I know this is very far fetched but when i was giving her some water with a dropper she was opening and closeing her mouth and it was click click sound...could part of it be her beak it is very curved....i went back and look at her previous pictures and this has progressivle gotten worse? This is a close up i took on the 8th....
DSC02227.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think the round of Sulmet would hurt - and certainly I think DLHunicorn was thinking along the same lines I was when reading this: all that rain.

But another thing that is coming up a lot lately here in the US that I'd like for you to check for, oddly - and mind you if this is it, it's not the normal reaction to it: molt. I'd check her thoroughly for any signs of feather loss and (most importantly) new feathers coming in. Start at the head - that's where you're most likely to see the "pin feathers" that come in (in their casings) during a molt.

I'd give her a one-day gentle cleansing:

1/8th a teaspoon (or less) of molasses
1 teaspoon of applesauce (I Buy babyfood applesauce and free the rest in pieces in a ziplock for later use)
1 teaspoon plain yogurt
a little honey (1/2 teaspoon or so?)
Just enough very hot water to stif with an liquify the honey and molasses before adding other ingredients.
Just enough crumbles when, stirred with other ingredients at the end, makes a "fluffy" and slightly moist mash when allowed to set a couple of minutes.

The molasses will help flush any excess cocci and 'junk' from her digestive tract
The applesauce will clease as well as acting as a "prebiotic" (food) for the probiotic (good bacteria you want to strengthen)
The yogurt adds more living good bacteria
The honey - they just like it - it make it more palatable
The crumbles: a good binder still providing nutrition

Then you can either add a few drops of polyvisol to the mash (make a tiny amount) or directly to her beak (3 drops, without iron formula, vitamin - not baby section - of drug stores). I usually do in the beak first, and in the mash later.

The rest of the week do the same recipe as above minus the molasses once a day.

Usually I would say add egg, but not where cocci is in question.

Again, this will lightly flush and cleanse her system. Her droppings are scant; I suspect the dark green is because she hasn't eaten and the mucous texture is because of some bacterial upset (either due to stress, environment/rain/blooms of bacteria, or illness due to immune system dampening by rain or upcoming molt).

I would suspect that either a) she's not laying because she's about to molt and it's going to be a proverbial biggie, b) she's not laying because of impending illness, or c) she's not laying because of nutritional factors... so...

What is her usual diet exactly (percentage, layer?, any oyster shell?, any grains?)? And did her eggs before the cessation of laying have any nice little calcium bumps at all on them? Strength of shell? I just want to rule out egg issues although I more highly suspect other things.

Of course, keep her up by herself or with a mate if she gets upset at being alone (yes, treat them both) with easily accessible water/food. Before you put the sulmet in, I'd use electrolytes if she's not drinking much.

Also, do you see clingy droppings at her vent?

Threehorses Dlhunicorn
thank you

She is doing about the same, she did eat some egg again this morning, and now i am getting ready to do her flush that you recommened. And going to mix some up for the rest of the grls with out the molasses

She is on 16% pellets, mixes with oyster, along with oyster on the side. With treats of friuts and veggies, she also gets to free range most of the day.

She laid her only two eggs on or around the 28th of Aug (they were hidden behind a pallet. I have checked high and low every day since but no eggs.. The other grls started to lay about 3-4 weeks prior to that but they are differant breed and full sized so i thought this may be normal.

I could not find the Sulmet, I found TABLET that is Sulfamethazine. I wonder if i can crush this and put in her water. When i googles Sulmet it looks to me the same thing. (being a chicken mommy is not easy) What is the dosage????

I also bought some electrolite powder and was wondering if i should mix that with her water?

Last edited:
*****update*****
Well her posture is worse wings droopy and croked tail, she will eat and drink if i hold the food up to her. She has walked around the house a bit this morning and tried to peck at my hand when i was trying to clean up her messes from the night. But when she eats, and after for quite a few minutes she continues to chew, like a how can i explaine it...like the mouth on a old sting puppet...and kind of up and down up and down and smacks a bit (i had not noticed this before), she is also scratching at the side of her face with her feet.

I still have not started her on the Sulmet and i know HOW important this is...but i could not find it yesturday other than the cow tablet ones. So if there is anything else i can use please let me know.

I should also add she has not been wormed....I literaly bought wazine on thursday to worm the grls and with the rain and run being flooded, and not wanting to lock them in up in the mud. So i thought i would wait a few days.....until it dries out.

updated photos (please EXCUSE the dirty floor...we have a broken pipe under our slab and the plumbers have been here for 3 days jack hamering up sctions of the floor to fix the pipe...ya just a bit DUSTY)
DSC02240.jpg
DSC02242.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE
Flashdance is eating and drinking...but still not her same old self. Her wings are still droopy but her poo is normal most of the time. She has been on Corid for 3-4 days. I also wormed her but have seen no signs of any worms being passed.

I noticed 2 days ago a scabby looking area on the side of her nose, kind of dark in color almost blk. So now i am wondering if she has fowl pox on top of her digestive issue or if fowl pox will make her have poo issue. (the mesqutioes have been TERRIBLE here and i have read that is how fowl pox is transmitted)

Any other sugesstions would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom