UPDATE: Pullet with Shriveled Toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bleenie, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I posted not long ago about a little banty EE-type pullet that came from my mother's friend. When I got her she had a toe that was shriveled up, black and just plain nasty looking. 4 days ago I ended up removing the toe because of infection. It looks to be healing well so far, BUT, I noticed tonight when I chanced her bandage that 2 toes on the opposite foot & 1 more on the 'bad' foot are starting to look like the one I removed. I have NO clue what's going on with her feet.

She was poorly when i got her but has since gained weight and continues to, she actually has some meat now! her appetite has been good and she's acting well. I am a bit worried it might be something to do with the flock these two girls(i have her sis too) came from, bad genetics or too much inbreeding? The sister has a crossed beak and I noticed tonight that this girl's beak has developed a curve, very slight but noticeable. I know crossbeaks can be genetic but is it possible that her foot problem has something to do with bad genetics too?

2. Chicago chick

Chicago chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Hobart, Indiana

3. Chicago chick

Feb 12, 2013
    Hobart, Indiana
    Sorry about that. Could it have been frostbite?? I would remove all toes showing signs like that.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

But it has moved into more toes since i got her and there's no chance she could have gotten further frostbitten, she's been in a brooder nearly the entire time. The other toes seem to be getting the same kind of infected look the bad one had, that's why i am suspecting some kind of infection...

5. Chicago chick

Feb 12, 2013
    Hobart, Indiana
    Infection(gangrene) can be secondary to the frost bite. The reason to remove the toes that are infected is to prevent gangrene from spreading into the bloodstream.Frostbitten toes can sometimes fall of on their own. Can you google pics/tx for frostbite in chickens? I've seen it first hand only in people (was paramedic for 8 years & was quite common in homeless people suffering from exposure)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by