*Update - Ringtails?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Today mother saw something that scared the poop out of the chickens. She said the body was grey, black, and brown. It was fat. The tail was fat and was white with black bands. She said it moved so fast, but she sprayed it with the garden hose. It sounds like a raccoon?
    Mom even said that she's never seen one out here till now. I'm wondering how the heck it got out here.

Right now I'm researching desert animals. Mom also said it was small, maybe 1 foot or 2 foot long. So according to what I'm reading, it's either a raccoon or ringtailed cat.
    Anyone got any info on desert raccoons? Or ringtails?

Coop is now cat proof.. I take precautions whenever a cat comes around. Just the other day I heard a cat yowling and hissing somewhere around my backyard fence and the dogs barking like crazy. So I make sure everyone is safe by putting extra wood against the doors and such.

*I showed mom a pic of a ringtail and a raccoon. Mom says ringtailed-cat. Do they kill chickens? She said it was on top of the food storage bins.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

if it helps any I have never seen a fat ringtail.. sounds like a young raccoon to me

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I questioned that with my mom. She was talking about the rump I think, because sometimes their lower back has this curve-like thing. She also said it reminded her of a squirrel.
    I've never seen a raccoon either and my dad thinks that whatever it is, was someones pet and it got out. Raccoons and ringtails aren't native to this area, to the desert I know ringtails but not this area.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Might have been a coati mundi, although I can't imagine why one would be so far north.

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Coatimundies are adorable!

Perhaps this little critter was in our yard for mice... If the chickens catch and eat the mice, why not a little miner's cat? [​IMG]

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Coatimundies eat chickens? o.o

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like coons or coatimundies and both will wipe out your birds if given a chance. Double check your coop and run as they both are four legged chainsaws with thumbs!

If they really becomes a issue, you need to look into electric fence with a rating of 5-6 joules!

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Mom said "no" to the coatimundi pics on Google. She said the tail was white with black bands and long. She also said it was really fast. She's leaning to the ringtailed-cat pics so I'm not sure what I can do other than what I'm already doing cuz of cats.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh dear! They're so cute... Ehh, well..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by