UPDATE:runner duck acting strangely. HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    One of my 5 month old male runners is acting off. I arrived home to find him out in the yard by himself. When approached he didn't even open his eyes. I picked him up and he struggled a bit. he is able to stand but is unsteady. Doesn't seem to want to walk. I isolated him from the others(who are all fine). He is now standing, though not in an erect manner as usual and twitching his wings constantly. Any ideas?
    About 1 week ago one of the other males was a bit unsteady also. It resolved itself within 3-4 hours. I have ducks and chickens and they do interact in the backyard. I did not see any signs of obvious injury. All of the birds eat 18% Nutrena All Flock and have fresh water available at all times. I did not feel anything obstructing his throat.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Give him some niacin and see if that takes care of it. Ducks need more of then chicken, I even supplement my adult ducks. Anyway 100mg of Niacin to 1 gallon (4 liter) of drinking water. It is ok to give this water to chickens.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    the wing twitching is usually normal as long as it look like they are just flapping a little... it's how they cool off under their wings... Sounds like he just needs some extra b vitamins, Niacin will help greatly. Or if you have brewer's yeast, that will do too.

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Unfortunately I had to go to work this evening so I will check on him when I get home. The wing thing does not appear to be flapping it is literally just twitching the wing tips but they remain mostly folded. It has been pretty cool here for the last few weeks, 50-80s so I don't think he is trying to cool himself.

His behavior is just odd. Whenever I approach any of the runners they move, as a group. That was the most unusual thing was he was on the opposite side of the yard about 50 feet from his flock. I will give some niacin when I get home too.

It is just weird that not too long ago another of the males displayed similar symptoms but not as bad. The other male was unsteady on his feet and slow but would still flee if approached. I'm wondering what it could be but hoping that my f&w recovers just as quickly.

5. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

could he have eaten something metal? some stories Ive read on here have similar symptoms and they have found out their duck ate something metal and they have metal poisoning. .. .an extreme case , One duck ate a coin and it was slowly killing him but they saw it on an xray at the vets and he did survive.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, I got home from work and he seemed his normal self. Now I'm curious as this is the 2nd time in a week or so that 2 have been acting off. I don't know what they could be getting into that all of them wouldn't be affected. All 7 are ALWAYS together. Any other ideas?

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    A toxic weed that he alone is eating?

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I still STRONGLY suggest you get them niacin or brewer's yeast. The fact you had more than one with this problem tells you that it is most likely environmental. Those two might not have eaten enough of their food or foraged enough. Ducks will move in packs, esp runner ducks, which is normal. If one is not keeping up with the group it is almost always because it can't. Leg problems can be detrimental and can become permanent. Ducks will hide illness or injury for as long as possible because they are prey animals and don't want predators to notice they are easy pickings... Get some niacin into your ducks, because if it happened to one, then another, it's likely to happen to another. I would not assume it's a toxic weed. They'd all eat it then... Birds are jealous things and if they see another ducks eating something, they all want in. It could be genetic, but then, niacin and brewer's yeast will still help.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by