1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

update: she passed pics added 1 week old silkie chicks-1 not growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michellelei1, May 6, 2009.

1. michellelei1

michellelei1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I found her this afternoon when I got home. She was a very sweet chick while she was with us for her very short life. She appeared well this morning so I hope she passed without to much suffering. She literally didn't gain any weight since I got her. Thankyou everyone for replying to my questions.

I have 4 silkie chicks 1 week old from my pet chicken and 3 are growing and 1 isn't. I decided to weigh them with a digital postage scale and my littlest one is only 0.7 oz. The others are in the 1.5-1.8 oz. range. She eats fine, poops fine and plays with the others. She does go off by herself a lot but seems well besides not growing. Her feathers are coming in very slowly, the others have more than her. They are on medicated chick feed. Anyone have this happen?
    Also, are their crops supposed to look full a lot. I noticed last night that all of them had the lumps on their chests, so I massaged them and took the food away for a while and this morning they were normal. This evening their crops are full again. Is this normal? They don't have any shavings in their brooder and I haven't given them anything but the chick feed. This is the first time I've had bantams and they are tiny and seem much more fragile than the other chicks I've had.

[​IMG]
    This is bella my little one and wobbles the biggest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is feathering but at a much slower pace than the others. It's a bit tough to see in the pics

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    can you post a pic? is she feathering?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The crop should be full in the evening and go down in the morning as they do not eat in the dark.
    '
    The chick may have genetic or disease problems, or it may not e getting much food. Sometimes the others will keep one chick away from food. You could try separating the little one and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck!

4. michellelei1

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    Is there anything else I can give her to help her grow? I'd hate to lose her. I've already fallen in love with her.

5. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    have had a little runt silkie and now he/she is 4 1/2 weeks and acts fine and eats and drinks but is less active and sleeps more. Of my 18 chicks this one is always under the radar he/she just hangs back and is almost a wallflower. I hope ours catch up and end up fine but I have also prepared myself that this one might just not thrive.....hope I'm wrong cuz my runt is a cutie!!

here is a pic of my 2 silkies both at 4 1/2 weeks you can really see a size difference and the runt still has so much chick fuzz

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    what about putting an extra dish of food in there barricaded so only she can get in to it? that would ensure she is getting enough to eat...

7. michellelei1

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I think I'll try a separate food dish and see if that helps. The others don't seem to pick on her at all but they are like little savages when it comes to getting their food. I forgot to mention that she's got a mild case of pasty butt. The others did for the first day or two but it went away.
    I really hope she'll grow and get stronger. I'm going to weigh her each day on the digital scale I have and keep track of her weight. It doesn't look as though she's gained any weight since I got her. I don't know if that's possible but it seems that way.

8. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a silkie like that! Her name was Lefty. [​IMG] she was so cute and tiny. Sadly she only lived about a year. Not sure what went wrong. But she was tiny!!!!

Here she is beside an EE hen. She was full grown at the time. So tiny!
    [​IMG]

9. Sounds like you just have a runt! No biggie! Just keep an eye on her so she doesn't get trampled or if you have any smaller chicks to put her in with, you might want to try that. I have a runt silkie chick and she is about half the size of my other silkies, but does just fine with them. Every once in awhile I give her about 1/8 dropperful of poly-visol drops(you can buy these at just about anywhere-walmart, grocery store, etc in the med/infant section). Good luck! [​IMG]

10. michellelei1

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    She passed.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by