UPDATE - Silkie with micro mite infestation! Irritated eyes and head feather loss.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RussianChickens, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    My new silkie has puffy eyes. What could this be from? Shipping or sawdust/shavings? How do i treat?

She also has been itching her head and has some sores. How do i treat this? What is it. No mites lice but i did see the tinyest white bug about 1/4 the size of a smal flea crawling by her eye. The rest of her body is treated for mites ext but i dont want to get it in her eyes so i did not do the head.

She is in quarantine in the house and i take her outside every day to scratch for bugs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Any one know???

3. BillyKierra13

BillyKierra13 Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    Please Tell me how you add a picture!!!

4. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Use the picture link.

Any one?

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    She doesn't look too bad you can put some drops of collidial silver in her eyes and this will help. You can get it at any health food store. Get the bottle with 500parts per million of silver its stronger. This should clear up her eyes really well. Use one drop three times a day. Its all natural and works as a antibiotic and astringent. I use it on my birds eyes and it works wonderfully for irritations. Hope this helps.

6. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Are those specifically eye drops?

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    No it can be used for many things. However I use the silver specifically for eye issues in my flock.its all natural and very effective. If you don't want to go the natural route vetercine makes eye drops that are sold at the feed store. Make sure your buying the vetercine eye drops and not the wound spray. They make both. But her cases is mild and I think the natural silver would be very good.its all I use in my flocks eyes.

8. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Ok I'll try that. Thanks

9. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Any one know why she is scratching her eyebrows though?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you saw a white bug on her eyelid, it sounds like a louse. When you treat the chickens you have to clean out litter, nest boxes, and repeat in 10 days. You may need to get some on her head, but not in the eyes. What are you using?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: