Update...Silkies 3 weeks later still trying to determine sex, color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by knboulay, Jan 31, 2011.

1. knboulay

knboulay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Here are my two silkies a few weeks later and have almost tripled in size........trying to find out sex sooner than later as my town ordinance does not allow roosters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You still have plenty of time before anyone catches you having roosters. . . [​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    First one is blue, second one is splash. As for sex, you are going to have to wait a while.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ooh so cute

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree. Also if I had to guess I would say both roos.

6. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    They are totally cute! I know you don't want to get too attached to one that will have to leave. Enjoy them while you can even if they might end up being rehomed. Silkies are just so cute as babies no matter what sex they are. And as for the crowing...It might be a long time before they start crowing if you do have a boy. And when they start they sound pretty lame for a while. Our fave ended up being a boy and he only crowed in the morning, never later in the day. If I hadn't found such a good home for him, he'd probably end up being a garage sleeper, going out later in the day. And it is true, you won't really know the sexes for a while. Some say that the crest is a giveaway, but yours are in that scraggly stage and I don't think you can tell a thing yet. I'm hoping for girlies for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by