UPDATE!!!six hatched!! PICS ON PAGE THREE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austinhart123, Oct 20, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i have eggs that are on day 18 and i just candled them and they look more like they are on day 15 you can see some viens around the top it doesnt look completely filled in, i havent hatched in awhile (not including last week when i didnt candle b4 the hatch) but shouldnt i expct to see the egg completely full on day 18?
    or is what im seeing normal?
    oh btw they are probably a day behind cuase the power was out for 8 hours on day 6

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I dont know about the large breed eggs but for bantams, the ones that hatch are always completely filled up when candling, the only thing I ever see is the air cell. I wouldn't give up though.

ETA: filled up on Day 18 that is.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are on Day 18, some are filled up and some have a little more room at the pointy end. The rest of the eggs are dark, except for the air sac.

4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    these are frizzle bantams on day 18, they are due to hatch friday
    they look really healthy moving alot in the eggs and bright red veins but about a little less than a cm b4 the air cell is still not filled up and you can see veins

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Yours are probably running just a bit behind due to the power outtage, figure them a tad late, if they're later than 22 days - they may have gotten weak and can't get the pip/zipping done after using a LOT of their reserves living through the cooling off. That burns a lot of calories for the wee ones.

I didn't realize that after my first huge power outtage and lost many I might have saved if I'd known that they would use up so much of their very limited reserves.

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    well today i candled them and they have all pipped into the aircell and you can see there lil beaks trying to pip and they are all chirping away so i took them off the turners and bumpes up the humidity
    now we wait

7. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    they are peeping like crazy its so cute

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] Go babies go! [​IMG]

I had a 4 hour power outage the first week, I hope all is well for mine. If yours are doing well, that gives me hope!

9. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:ya they should be fine, four hours isnt terribly long and if it was in the first week and especially if you didnt open the bator you should be fine

10. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    today is day 20 and we have two pips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by