1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE: Sizzle gender confirmation...I think it's a boy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hokankai, Jul 28, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Well, after a couple more weeks of observation and development, I'm starting to think Jemima might in fact be a Jerimiah. If so I need to contact the seller asap to exchange for a hen, so let me know if I'm guessing well please! Haha

Physical/behavioral indications of being a male: (now about 3 months old)
    - I have found that I have a pretty dang good roo-dar. Been 100% right thus far this season
    - Tid-bitting behavior observed at 1 month old (picking up food and chirping until one of the pullets ate it)
    - When introduced to my hatched cochins, this chick aggressively went after the two roos for an extended period of time while leaving the females alone
    - When introduced along with the two d'uccle broodermates it had, the sizzle and the d'uccles formed a differed group from the others
    - More brown feathers are popping up
    - comb development is comparable to my silkie roo of the same age, maybe even bigger
    - Just noticed reddening in the waddles and around the corners of his beak
    - Biting behavior
    - Vocalizations are identical to the ones made by the previous head roo (cochin), minus the crowing
    - Upright stance

Updated pics from just now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a video, to see his stance, vocalizations, and response to (me) crowing [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    No crest streamers, roundish on the head, small comb,,, I am guessing girl.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    i was thinking hen til i seen the last 2 photos, that organeish brown color coming out says boy to me

4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:what orangeish brown color? the 3 random brown feathers? how come that makes you think boy? The other color is from dustbathing in dirt [​IMG]

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say girl. Only because of the small comb. I have sizzles and I'm never sure until I hear a crow or see a roo breed with it AND see an egg laid by it. lol. But so far I've managed to pick out all girls when I make my picks and sell the rest. [​IMG] I'm sure by pure luck.

My vote is a girl. Pretty too. I need one that color.

6. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    splashs tend to be two colors only. when a thrid color or a different color starts to show up after a couple of months, it normally means rooster. I have on my self that just started getting that same color showing up on its back and wings, and its a he and not a splash. this is before the second color started showing up
    [​IMG]

7. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    First post updated!!!
    I think it's a boy, but would like a few more opinions before I call up the breeder and exchange him [​IMG]

It's now around 3 months old.

8. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Nobody? I'm hoping to give this guy a call tomorrow [​IMG]

9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    still looks like a pretty roo

10. noblehillfarm