*UPDATE* splayed legs in 4 week old chick

LilJeffy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Newvlle, PA
I have a 4 week old chick that all of a sudden quit standing and walking. She seems to stick her legs out in all different directions. She is still ok otherwise, eating drinking, pooping etc. I've read up on leg issues with very young chicks (1 - 2 days old), but haven't seen much on older ones developing problems. Why would this be happening at 4 weeks?

*UPDATE*
I started the chick on Polyvisol, and put hobbles on her. In 6 days she was back up standing on her own. I am not feeding the 7 chicks medicated peep feed. My guess since this is working, is simply a vitamin deficiency. I had the same problem with a second chick from the same hatch. Same regimen, same results. Guess I learned my lesson on why you're supposed to feed the medicated peep feed. And to prevent from any of the others having the same issue I started them on the vitamins also as a preventative.

SO glad your babies doing better!
big_smile.png

Thank you... people think I'm crazy for the things I do for my chickens. But I have managed to save 5 little lives. I enjoy my flock, and will do what I can to keep them happy and healthy
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom