Update: Still need help!!!!!! -YOLK SAC STILL ATTACHED?? (PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by M0therGoose, May 1, 2009.

1. M0therGoose

M0therGoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    Goose just hatched. Is this the yolk sac?? Will she survive?? What do I do??? Help! Thanks.

(I just tried to post some pics but can't figure out how...DARN!!... i'll keep trying)

Update after 24 hours: Yolk sac is about the size of a pea, really sticks out. Hasn't changed since last night. This morning it was up trying to walk around in the bator, and all dryed off. Peeping alot like it was begging to get out. I tied a wet paper towel to it, like a diaper, and am keeping it on my bare chest in a sports bra for warmth right now. Can I just let it dry at this point? Would it just dry up and fall off if left alone? Or is it still critical to keep it wet? The baby seems very active and lively and probably ready to eat. What do you think i should do now? thanks.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I can not help about the chick but to post pictures you need have them hosted somewhere else. I use flikr.com because I already had an account w/ yahoo (owned by yahoo). Upload your pictures there, right click on the picture, click properties, copy the pictures link, come back here click the IMG button and it will put "" in your message and then paste in the pictures link inbetween the ][. clear as mud

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Did you help the baby hatch ?? Really need to see a pic to help more !! If you want send the pic to my email addy and I will post it for you [email protected]

4. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    I am emailing you pics right now........ no i didn't help her hatch, and she didn't hatch early either--- right on time. I have her laying on a warm wet cloth in the incubator right now. Thanks! Pics are on their way to your email....

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I emailed you back, i think your doing the right thing... time will tell !!! I will post your pics here for you !!!!

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I would keep the gosling separated from others to avoid them pecking at the sack. It will probably absorb in the next 24 hours. Be sure to keep it on papertowels...or something that won't scratch the yolksack.

It it looks like it's not beginning to absorb in the next 6-8 hours, very, very gently try to coax it in. I would wash my hands well and wear latex gloves if you have any. Don't force it but see if you can massage it in. Sometimes this works...sometimes it doesn't.

Did you help the baby hatch? If so, you can see now why everyone says "NEVER help a baby hatch". I did it when I first started hatching and got nervous...and I lost a couple of babies because of it.

Good luck...keep us posted...

9. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    No, I didn't help her hatch. She is actually half a day late on hatching. I had another sebbie goose egg hatch yesterday and she was totally fine. And they were set the same day. I wonder what causes this??? Anyone know?

The baby has been on a warm wet towel in the incubator for the past 3 or 4 hours and she has been quivering the whole time I have had her on the wet towel.... like she is chilled. Is this a bad sign? Surely the towel has warmed up to the inubator's temp of 99 degrees by now?

Thanks for your help everyone!

10. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    And the sac seems to be getting smaller, thank goodness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by