Update - Successful intervention - hen, dried egg on vent, intestines

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zenbirder, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    My hen was free ranging and happy when I saw what appears to be a dried egg on her vent with intestines going into it? It is very dried and I am afraid to cut-pull without any idea what I am doing! She seems very well otherwise, just over one year old. What should I do? No vet for chickens in our area.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Put her in a warm bath. It may soften so you can wipe it off her, is there any trace of shell?

3. Zenbirder

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    DH has her in a warm bath now - it was the only thing I could think of either. No trace of shell, looks like all yolk.

4. Zenbirder

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I think success, I was able to remove it layer by layer, it was very hard and dried. Yolk was outside, white inside. When I got to the final removal I was very very gentile, and she sucked the internals back inside her. I will post an update tomorrow in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

My new quote:" If you are not willing to stick your fingers in a chicken's vent, then don't have chickens!"

5. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I love your new quote and oh so true. I sure hope your hen is ok. You did a great job.....give yourself a pat on the back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by