**Update**they're gone**They're not all in the coop tonight!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by noodleroo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    This doesn't make sense. DH just called and said 8 chickens weren't in the coop. They have an automatic door that opens and closes with a light sensor and they always have made it in. They free range on 52 acres. I just checked on them and fed treats about 7:30 pm. and I honestly didn't count them, but I would have noticed if that many were missing. They have a very comfy coop; do flocks ever split for some reason? Too many predators out there-they won't last long if they're not in the coop...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    If they were too far out on 52 acres they may not have been able to make it back in time and are hiding somewhere safe.

3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I sure hope so. They were right in front of the coop about an hour before dark. They don't use the whole acreage, but I've seen them almost 1/4 mile from the coop. All kinds of awful things are going through my mind, but you're probably right.

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I would be so unnerved right now. I hope everything is okay.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I hope your babies are ok!!!!!!!!

Let us know when they turn up!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Very strange, considering they were there earlier. How big is the coop? Maybe they weren't all visible to be counted.

I hope they are safe and return in the am! [​IMG]

7. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    DH got home and didn't find them BUT he did see a coyote/fox/chupacabra (both of us have seen it; a really wierd looking coyote, I think) cross the road just outside our fence. If it were in there and scattered the flock, they could be hiding in the grass and we'll see who's where in the morning. DH said he could smell something (a predator) or where one had been near the coop. I'm betting that's what happened. Darn it. I'll updat y'all in the morning... Thanks for caring.

8. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    ooh... bad smell. I had that once just as the sun was setting I saw a strange looking fox like animal that left a horrid stench. The next morning I saw the fox again and saw that it was missing one eye, had practically no fur and was so scabby, scaly and mangy. It smelled soooooooooo bad.

I hope they hide well for the night!!! [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Any word on your missing kids?

10. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Well not good news. Found 3 piles of feathers, no carcases; 7 chickens gone. Darn it. We're pretty sure it was coyotes right before dusk and sometime after 7:30 last night. DH saw one last night. We sat out there this evening and heard a coyote pretty close so thats my guess. Could have been dogs but they would have had to come pretty far, or, from the hunting club down the road a way. DH said he could smell a predator last night so that doesn't point to dogs.

Thanks for all the concern. These things just happen sometimes and its a price we pay for letting the chickens free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by