Update to "Mystery Predator-

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jajika, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Everyone:

Well, now I know for sure it was a raccoon.

Why....I locked up the surviving newbie in the small coop. I blocked the door with a very, very heavy paver and several bricks. I mean this paver was a like a boulder.

I locked the the "queen" in the big coop with another paver.

I was sure both would be fine. However, to my horror the critter got into the small coop and ravaged the newbie, "Thelma." I can't tell you how I screamed and cried out of frustration. My only solution is it had to be a raccoon. They are strong and have the agility to tip something back.

I'm beyond devastated. These girls are my pets...names, live a long time and my companions.

The remaining girl, Cloe is about 8. It was clear she was depressed. All alone. She let me pick her up which she NEVER would do before. She sat under a bush...just sat. I knew she would wither away from depression and isolation. I was fortunate enough that a very, very dear Friend who has 5 chickens readily and eagerly took her in. She immediately got her old personality back and just jumped right in. She bumped chests with their queen and Chloe didn't back down. She stood her ground and soon they were peaceful. I cried again with relief.

It's clear I need to majorly reinforce my chicken yard even more.

I put out a trap, but frankly, with all the "food" gone, it really doesn't matter. Lots of new construction before I risk this.

I feel I failed to keep them safe and I really must do a better job. It has been 12 years since I a coon attack, but everything has changed. Things have been happening that had before. I really must pay attention and do a better job.

Even two days later, I'm a slobbering mess. Every time I go outside it's a reminder of the savagery. They didn't deserve this and it's my fault.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry you lost your bird, raccoons can be so destructive. That's great about Chloe is fitting in with your friend's flock, she'll be happier around other chickens.

Here's a link to some information about predators that could be helpful to keep in mind when you get to re-building.
    http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-predators.html

Chickens look like dinner to a lot of things so it's a challenge to keep them safe.

3. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Wow---this was very helpful.

Thank you so much.

I'm working with the friend where Chloe went to live. Her hen yard is truly a fortress. I will write up a complete architectual plan, get all the materials and supervise the reconstruction. Fortunately I already have a base to work from, so I'm completely starting from scratch.
    These are the current pictures of the chicken yard. I will be reinforcing it bottom, sides, top and digging way down (probably more than a foot below the surfacr with hardwire cloth. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Do I see chicken wire and plastic netting? These are not "fortress materials.[​IMG]

5. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi:

Yes, you do. And no, this is not a fortress.

This is what I had/have. I also have about 20 red lights inside and outside the chicken yard. It kept raccoons away for 12 years. I'd see raccoons walk all over my property and NEVER go near the yard.

Well, obviously that changed. Does not work any longer.

I need to use this as a framework as the structure to build upon. I need to add/ and replace the netting with hardwire cloth. Add cloth over the wire, dig down deep into the soil with the wire and nail boards on top of that. There is much to be done before I get new chickens. The yard will remain "chickenless" until I get this done.

Thanks for writing.

6. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Yes 1/2 inch hardware cloth would be best, dig down about a foot and bend the wire into a L shape then bury it then staple the top side to that middle board you have on your coop already, then get 1x2 and screw that on top ofthe wire you stapled and wire up the rest to lock it to the chicken wire and your good to go to keep those pesky coons out. It might be a little pricey but you will save in the long run. Good Luck! [​IMG]

7. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Excellent. Just the advice I'm looking for.

Thank you so much.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here's to a speedy coop re-construct and getting new chickens soon!

9. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Thank you. I'm highly motivated. I've been "keeping" chickens for 15 years, and I'm so sad without them.

Here's to motivation.

Appreciate the kindness.

10. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    So awful
    Good luck on your new build
    Thank goodness we don't have racoons in the UK
    Only predators here are foxes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by