Update to: Put my healthy and beautiful rooster down?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SilkieNation, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SilkieNation

SilkieNation Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Good Morning,

I am struggling with making a decision. I have had silkies for the past nine years, a pair for the past five. My hen has developed a cancer on her jaw and the vet is giving her a couple of weeks at best (she is nine). I am going to put her down, of course. My problem is her rooster, who is healthy and beautiful (and nine years old as well). I don't really want to keep chickens anymore - I need to move on for a number of reasons. My roo has lived a very pampered life and I can't find a suitable home for him, one where I would be comfortable that he would get the level of care I have given him. He is also very bonded to my hen. They are a unit. I did try to find an older hen, but have had no luck. And, as I said, I really don't want to keep chickens anymore.

So, I am considering putting them down together (having the vet do it, because these are my pets and I could never, ever do it myself). I need feedback on this. I can do the best thing for him, and get some new, young hens, or I can do the best thing for myself and put him down too. I have never put a healthy animal down, and this is really tough for me. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Claudia

Don't really know how to properly post this, but I thought I'd give an update on my rooster and my dilemma after I had to put my hen down due to cancer. Bottom line...

I'm a sucker...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Claudia, welcome to BYC.

That's a tough decision for you because we do get so attached to our birds.
    Some thing you can do to find him a new home is to get up to 20 posts so you can use the buy-sell-trade section of BYC. There's a place there to post about animals needing re-homing.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck to you & your roo. I'm sorry about your girl.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    That is a hard decision. We can give our opinion, but ultimately it is your decision. I am so sorry for your hen and him as well. He would be lost without her. Since you raised them you know them best. Whatever you decide, it will be for the best for them and you. Sorry I am not much help.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm sorry that you are faced with this decision. It has to be hard on you. [​IMG]

I will be facing the same decision soon I fear. I have two cats, a brother and sister. Recently the brother has been having some health issues. I hope he recovers, but the two cats have been together all of their lives. I am not sure how one will do without the other. They snuggle together on the same bed, clean each others faces, and work as a team to torment the puppy. If one dies, I would have to sit back and see how the other does by herself.
    My cousin had a couple of horses that were bonded to each other. One died and the other mourned by not eating and they eventually had to put it down due to failing health and her inability to afford all the vet bills. However, one cat will probably do better than a roo by himself. It is a housecat and will become very much a pest about being on my lap.

I hope you can find a good home for him; if he is healthy, maybe a new lifestyle with a bunch of ladies may be good for him.

1 person likes this.
  5. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    I can't help you make that decision. That's a tough one for sure. But I commend you for caring so much for their well being and happiness and hope you find peace with whatever decision you come to.

6. SilkieNation

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island

7. SilkieNation

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Thank you everyone for your comments. There are lots of roosters around and finding a home for one isn't easy and it's got to be with bantams or he may not be able to compete for food (he's also used to lots of veges, fruits and other treats chopped up really small). I know I have to make this decision myself, but I was wondering what others might do. I've never put a healthy animal down - I'm with them to the end. Getting more hens is so not what I need to do right now, but I may end up with more anyway. I have to see how this goes.

8. SilkieNation

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    You will have to see, but I have been left with one cat who grew up with two others - all best buddies, and he did fine. You could always get an older cat from a shelter, as there are many, but you never know how the integration will go. Cats are so territorial. It's a risk and at the very least some time and energy dealing with them as they get used to each other. Your dog may provide enough animal companionship. You just never know with animals. My horse, for example, lost her eyes to Uveitis and she is awesome, but some other horses would not do well blind and can become fearful and dangerous. I will say as a general statement that pets just don't live long enough and are very good at breaking our hearts when they go.

9. SilkieNation

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Do you think a new hen(s) (but not a young hen) would make him happy or is it likely that he will mourn regardless because of how bonded they are? It's just been these two for about 4-5 years. I just don't have enough experience with chickens to know this.

10. SilkieNation

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by