Update: Toss or KEEP (nevermind go on and read this though :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Wolf Queen, May 6, 2009.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    HELP [​IMG] I have 2 banties sitting on over 30 eggs right now, and can someone post pics or show a website that can show me how to tell if an egg is good or bad? For instance if an egg is candled and it looks like there is not even a yolk, is it good? Or same situation but its got the dark spot but you do not see those veins or membrane things, did the egg quit? I need to make room so the good ones are kept warm!!! [​IMG] Feel free to answer those question as well. Reply ASAP please! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  2. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Please help me! No one answered!!!

3. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Anyone... Hello!

4. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
  5. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks [​IMG] ...! Hey do YOU know how to tell if an egg is bad?

6. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    you usually candle them but since yours are under a hen, i dont know if i would disturb her. also mine would scoot the bad ones out from under her! dunno but i hope someone can help you!

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I had some broodies I used the low tech method. I picked up the egg in question and shook it. If the contents splashed back and forth within the egg, it was rotten. If nothing moved when I shook it, there was a possibility it was OK and I put it back under the hen.

8. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks and both hens are fine with it. One just bites alot...OUCH... [​IMG] . But do you know if when an egg is candled and it looks like it doesnt have a yolk. Thats bad right?!? [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'd leave her be. how long has she been sitting on the eggs? that makes a ddifferance in how to tell if an egg is bad.

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Maybe you can catch her out of the coop and candle them. I would bring a pencil with me and mark the ones that I thought where good. WAit about a week then check the ones that looked new. If any are bad chunk them. The website you where given is a good start to telling if they are good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by