UPDATE:Tried corid and tylan50. What could be wrong with her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchicks, Aug 19, 2014.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have a 4 month old EE pullet that us all fluffed up and weak. I first noticed her acting a little off on Sunday. I don't see anything specifically wrong, no sneezing, no discharge or swelling, I haven't noticed any unusual poop. I isolated her yesterday and have been treating her with VetRX but am not seeing any improvement. I did put some duramycin powder in her water this morning. The reason I am treating her with VetRX is one of my Cochin hens had a respiratory /wheezing /sneezing thing 2 weeks ago. She started showing improvement within a day from the VetRX and is fine now.

I'm afraid a new pullet I brought into my flock 3 weeks ago is the cause. She is fine and has never shown any signs of illness, but I think she is a carrier of something. I just don't know what the most likely illness is and how I should treat it. Should I worm her while she's sick? I have never seen any signs of mites or lice in my flock.

Any suggestions as to which disease she could have and the best way to treat it? I have some tylan injectable but it's expired and don't know if it would be any good.

I'm also thinking I should treat the whole flock, too.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I wouldn't use a dewormer unless you are sure she has internal parasites. If you use it when she doesn't have parasites, they could become resistant to it and she would definite get parasites. The symptoms you list could be many diseases. I'm leaning towards: air-sac disease, Marek's disease, or coccidiosis. Take a look at an article about Air-Sac Disease on my website and see if it sounds like your bird: http://bantamfan4life.wordpress.com/air-sac-disease/

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Since you have recently brought a new bird into your flock the first thing I would be concerned about and treat for is coccidiosis, especially since the bird now sick is young herself. It's very easy for new birds to bring in a strain of cocci that your birds are not immune to. So I would start by treating with a course of Corid asap. She may not drink enough on her own if she's feeling crummy so get an eyedropper or needless syringe and give her a little of the medicated water every couple hours this first day or so, as often as you can. Or if you get the liquid Corid give her a drop of it undiluted to get her started. I would just go ahead and treat everybody in case that's what this is you can just nip it in the bud right now.

It's also possible she's coming down with whatever respiratory issue is going on in your flock. Watch her carefully for any symptoms of wheezing or rattling when she breaths.

VetRx really won't cure anything. Basically all it is is a camphor product, similar to menthol products that humans would use when they have a cold and are congested. It may help thin mucous and make it easier to breath but it won't cure anything. Birds with respiratory diseases will either fight it off on their own or will often develop pneumonia from all the junk in their airways and die. Antibiotic's can help prevent the pneumonia from developing.

4. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california

I'll pick up some corid at tsc after work. I was giving the VetRX because it's really all I had. I guess my Cochin was able to fight off whatever she had in her own. What kind of antibiotics should I get?

5. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    That's the thing, other than being all fluffed up and lethargic, she has no symptoms. At least with my Cochin, she was sneezing and cooing like a dove with her mouth open, so I knew (sort of) what was wrong... I don't know what kind of antibiotics to get for this.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Start with just the Corid, the early symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy and standing around puffed up. If there's no improvement after a couple days of treatment, or if she starts to show signs of respiratory disease you could treat with Tylan 50. It is an injectable and it works best that way but it can also be given orally.

7. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    She's had corid in her water for 3 days and has had 4 shots of tylan50. She isn't as fluffed up as she was when I brought her inside, and she is eating and drinking. Her poop is normal. No sneezing or wheezing. But she's still wobbly and keeps her tail down. It's obvious she isn't well, but I don't know what else could be wrong. Should I just keep her in a few more days? Should I replace the corid water with vitamin water?

8. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Does ANYONE have any ideas what's wrong with my pullet?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you use 1.5 teaspoons of Corid powder per gallon?

-Kathy

10. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Yes, for the last 4 days. I took her out yesterday to see how she was moving, she pooped 3 very normal poops. She is still kind of wobbly and not right. But she's eating and drinking and preening herself. I never did see any abnormal poop, so I don't even know if she had/gas cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by