UPDATE:VERY Funny Broody story(I HATCHED!!!!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spencer creek, Jan 6, 2009.

1. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Some of you that have helped me know that I am new to this. I am a horseperson by trade. I found Silkies on a horse website and you guessed it, the evil Silkie has taken me. My first incubator hatch is due Friday! (Thanks BYC) Prior to buying my incubator I questioned the heck out of everyone about making my hen broody. I coached her, tried talking her into it, nothing! I have fallen full blast into silkie reproduction. Little did I know.....

Last Night I discovered Nugget, my best and favorite black Silkie hen I have had for 2 months now, dead, head buried, flat as pancake laying in her nest box. Last week I introduced her to my young black roo in search of some fertile eggs and have been collecting and replacing w/golf balls. They have been having the time of their lives...if you know what I mean. Upon finding her, I yelled, poked and prodded to no end. That was it, she was gone and I was distraught. I ran up to the house to let my wife know, possibly blaming her for giving her something poisenous to snack on. Not a good idea. She yelled back saying I should have left her alone to lay us our eggs to eat and none of this would have happened. Me and my greedy needs of wanting to breed everything. Nugget lays the best eggs I have ever had. It's like she adds a squirt of butter in each egg. This was truley devastating. I collected supplies for the death march(bag and shovel)and headed back out to the barn to remove "the body". I thought to myself as I walked that my run with chickens was over, how could this have happened? I was just not meant to breed Silkies when I had killed one of three in under 2 months.

I yelled at my womanizing roo, he's to blame also. He strutted around the pen with a cocky look of guilt. I reached in with a shovel and scooped up Nugget. As I got the shovel about six inches off the ground, her head came up and she looked at me like "what the hell are you doing?" I then realized she was not dead, but insanely broody!!! I apologized and put her back in place. She looked at me and I swear she called me an amateur. She then collected her golf balls and got back to business, shaking her head in disgust at my lack of brood-knowledge. She is herself and fine as can be but sitting on those eggs like they are full of gold. This morning she looked at me again with embarrassment.

NOW, I know what BROODY means!!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh, that is toooo funny!!! She really fooled you, you amateur you! [​IMG] You told your story with lots of suspense and emotion; I loved it!

Now! A question...are you going to slip her a couple of chicks to mother when they hatch? You can, you know. There's nothing cuter than watching a broody hen with her chicks.

Enjoy your new-found passion. I've had silkies in the past and they are truly special and wonderful. I did have one that was "retarded", though, and couldn't get it through her chicken brain that you lay ON the eggs, not beside them, that you brood the SAME eggs, not move to another nest, etc. etc. She was one I had to give chicks to. She could never hatch eggs. [​IMG]

3. ChickenDreamer

ChickenDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Northern Ontario
    [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Lucky of her to not be six feet under right now.

What a sweet story! Thanks for telling it.

5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG] I got about halfway through and was thinking "This is so NOT funny!" LOLOLOL

6. spencer creek

Dec 12, 2008
    Birdlover-
    Do you think I could give her my hatch on Friday? Or will she not be ready?

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh my, glad it is a happy ending. I would try giving her the hatch and watch what happens. Hopefully she'll take to them right away.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    [​IMG] Great story!!!!

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi,

I answered your pm but I just got to thinking, after you get her to a place where the chicks can't fall out onto the floor, I would just put the real eggs under her. Be sure she doesn't move to the old nest though. Some hens refuse to accept the new nest. Mine always did but I've read here where others weren't so lucky.

What do you guys think? Should he put the eggs under her or wait until they hatch? hmmmmm

10. spencer creek

Dec 12, 2008
    My incubator eggs, due Friday? Or the eggs I have been storing that are hers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by