UPDATE: Vitamin B therapy worked! Thank you everyone.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AlienChick, Dec 10, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Okay, someone said there was a long thread on vitamin B therapy for leg problems in chicks.

I searched and searched; can't find it. [​IMG]

Does anyone have it bookmarked and can send me the link? (I'd appreciate it.)

I had a chick who was 12 weeks old and was badly limping and is having trouble walking.

We nursed her back to health, but she walks with a gimp.

She's still on medicated feed along with the others (30 total); and these were all hatched in my incubator (barnyard mixes)

Someone said there was a thread about giving vitamin B and I need to know things like:

* how much to give
    * where to get the vitamin B (or is it just the same as human vitamin B)
    * how to administer
    * etc. (anything else I should know)

Thanx a bunch!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  3. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Thank you, RIR, and yes I did see that website during my search.

Unfortunately, they do not explain what dosage to give or how to adminster the dosage.

I went out and bought some vitamin B12 tablets, but I still do not know HOW MUCH to give (one tablet, two tablets, 60 tablets???) . . . whatever.

There's GOTTA be SOMEONE that would have a clue, I'm sure.

~Clueless
    [​IMG]

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I prefer nutritional or brewers yeast. Works great and is more natural. They live the taste of nutritional yeast, plus it's very high protein.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:B12 probably isn't going to help. It only helps if they have anemia. You need thiamin, niacin and riboflavin.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry I don't know which thread you are referring to, but maybe you could search Niacin dosage

I know it is niacin specifically that is important for leg development in water fowl, so I assume that it is similar with chickens.

good luck

7. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Thank you!

I DO plan on getting some Brewers Yeast (my husband suggested it yesterday).
    We live in podunk and there's no place nearby that sells it, so I will pick some up next week.

I just now found the vitamin B therapy thread that someone was referring to (I think this is it).
    I'm reading it now. Here it is:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=371501&p=5

I'm gonna try all of your suggestions! Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

8. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I bought some Vit B-12 tablets and put about 3-5 in a jug of water.

My little cripple chick improved within 24 hours. She started off walking like a toy soldier, but now she runs around almost normal looking.

Today she is running around chasing everyone.

While she was crippled, all the others would trample over her; so now she seems to be getting revenge by chasing them.

Wish I had read about this earlier. I now also have some Brewers yeast that I sprinkle inside their food bag.

[​IMG]

9. chick-n-doodles

chick-n-doodles New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    Quote:Thanks so much for sharing that link. I have a chick with leg issues that I have been trying to find help for. The only store near us had a Vitamin B - complex with Vitamin C. I picked it up. Any thoughts on the "with Vitamin C" part?
    I'm hoping it will work until I can get to a bigger store. Please see my BYC page for pictures. I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone has.

10. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I did not add any Vit C, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

My girl was 3 months old and all of a sudden she lost the use of one of her legs;
    it was crumbled underneath her and she was laying face down with all the other chickens walking all over her.
    Since I thought she was dying, I didn't take any photos.

My first thought was Marek's but after researching, it was clear it was not (so I was relieved).

For my little chicken, the Vit B worked almost immediately.

I hope you find a way to help your little one.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by