Update w/pics *Hopefully* raccoon "resistant" latchs/locks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SparksNV, Aug 11, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Thanks to everyone on this board and all the different solutions.

Before and after pics - Got padlocks at dollar tree. We color coordinated all entrys and locks with different colored nail polish so that it is easier to find the key. Extra set of keys kept inside house at the bulletin board. Keys to be used kept on a hook on the coop. The window latches and has a second lock at bottom & I don't think, as wiley as coons are they can reach the latch on the window. The window is closed and locked at night when we close and lock the pop door. All other doors will be kept locked until we need to open them. Pullets are too young yet to be laying.

Nest box before
    [​IMG]
    Nest box after
    [​IMG]

People door before
    [​IMG]
    People door after
    [​IMG]

Pop door before
    [​IMG]
    Pop door after
    [​IMG]

Poop door before
    [​IMG]
    Poop door after
    [​IMG]

Now, if only I can keep my neighbor's cat out of the run....

2. Baymule

Baymule Songster

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    WOW!!!!! Maybe a Houdini 'coon could get in, but I don't think so. Your chickies can sleep safe at night under lockdown. [​IMG]

3. Agnella

Agnella Chirping

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Awesome!

My nest box door is about 4 feet long and heavy...I have to make an effort to open it. BUT it uses two of the hook/eye thingies.

Think I should upgrade those? I have a hard time getting in there myself with the weight of the door, I have a hard time imagining a raccoon being able to lift it.

Gosh, I guess it's one of those 'better safe than sorry' situations though.

Great job on your coop!

ETA: Love the vanilla scented fresheners! Do you find that they are working?

Thanks so much for posting pictures!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. BWKatz

BWKatz Songster

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I've had raccoons move cinder blocks off metal trashcans and then remove well fitting lids to get to trash. [​IMG]

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

Agnella
    ETA: Love the vanilla scented fresheners! Do you find that they are working?

Thanks so much for posting pictures!

IDK about the vanilla fresheners - We seem to have a lot of flies in August whether or not we have chickens. I put 2 of the fresheners on each side of my sliding glass door into the house (kids are *forever* leaving that door open - "We're not trying to cool off the outside, kids!") It seems to have reduced the flies inside the house. We also hung one of the flytraps that you put water in the bottom. Smells to high heaven but that really attracts the flies. I put it at the end of our patio and due to popular request, had to move it way over by the end of our shed (too stinky or as the package says "smell may be offensive") So that will attract the flies away from house. I don't have many flies in the coop though - just out in the run.

Carol​

6. Ahab

Ahab Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:We tried cinder blocks on metal trashcan lids full of BOSS, and had the same problem. Then we held down the lid with inch-thick bungee cords; they only needed one night to chew through it. Then I hooked on a small load-binder and log chain, and dared them to try again. Heard a big commotion that night, but the flashlight didn't reveal any suspicious activity. The next morning, the trash can was gone, and I found it about 300 yards from the house, hung up between two trees. They'd been rolling it along, and were planning, apparently, to take it back home so they could crack the safe at their leisure.

Now the sunflower-seed can is chained to the woodshed, and the lid is chained down, and they amuse themselves with rattling it now and then late at night, perhaps to see if I've gotten lax on security.

Clever little buggers.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    Coons rolling the garbage can? OMG and here I thought my cement block in front of the coop door was enough. I wish I would have kept my havahart trap and set it out to see if coons are in the yard.

8. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Darn!
    I am fnishing up my coop tonight. (Chicks not in yet but will be tomorrow)
    I have 2 Hasp style closures (mine have the holes in the turning part) on my people door. One high and one low. (with nothing currently in the slot) So what I am learning the coons can physically turn the hasp and get into the door! ugg...Sound like I need to an additional locking mechanisim in the hasp.

Also for my chicken door, I was planning on 2 slide locks..Not good enough?? Bet I can guess the answer...although for the chicken door, they also have to get into the run which I plan on securing really well.

BTW, Hey Sparks, do you have the color paint code available that you used on your door hinge in the picture? I used the same walls/siding as you for my coop and I like how the hinges blend in so nicely. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  9. TCollier

TCollier Chirping

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I hope they are safe with all that!!! I don't see how they couldn't be. Great job!

10. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    CT Todd:
    BTW, Hey Sparks, do you have the color paint code available that you used on your door hinge in the picture? I used the same walls/siding as you for my coop and I like how the hinges blend in so nicely. Thanks.

Actually, it is the same color as the rest of the coop and our home. Thought I would paint it to match. The color is called
    Roasted Almond
    by Behr. I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra - paint & primer all in one - exterior satin. It is a nice mellow pale yellow/beige but more yellow. Bought it at Home Depot. About 1-1/2 gallons covered inside and out - with a couple of coats on some of the wood (coop is 8x4).

Here is a photo of the coop - it was taken at dusk.

[​IMG]

carol...​

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by