update w/ pics....Piped over 13 hours and geting nervous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wheely, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Wheely

Wheely Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
    HAve 3 eggs piped and been 13 hours I can see movement in holes membrane looks very white and dry...what if anything should I do. Incubator is a little giant 9200 still air water is full and small sponge has been in there all day. 2 chicks have hatched and are very active and having a blast playing in the bator.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    it can take up to 24 hours or longer for them to hatch

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Patience, Wheely...It can take as long as 24 hours from pip to zip and hatch. There's a lot of stuff that has to happen inside that egg for it to hatch.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I am in the same boat! These were my FIRST hatching eggs! One little guy popped out at 7 tonight and there are many more with eggs cracking, I just am hoping by morning I will have a bunch of little ones hopping around in the bator!! I am not good with the patience thing, but I am totally enjoying it!!!
    Good Luck
    Christina

5. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I have had a few that take over 24 hours to hatch. Every chicken is different and just b/c they may not pop right out doesn't mean there is anything wrong. Just be very patient.

6. Wheely

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
    I now have 4 little ones hoping around and still have 2 going on 21 hours piped going crazy one has not chirped or showed movement in a few hours I am restraining myself from helping but very hard

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    it's so hard to wait and not help, but it really is the way to go. they might not have absorbed the yolk sac yet and helping could very well do more harm than good. keep us posted! my last hatch, my first egg to pip was the second to last to hatch. All the other eggs pipped and zipped quickly once they started, but this little one was just pipped for over 30 hours, once he popped out he was healthy and fine.

8. Wheely

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
    Thanks my 5 year old daughter has more patients then me...good news i shined a flashlight into the bator window on the one that was not moving and i can still see a breathing motion. and the light got the other chirping....fingers crossed...may be staying home from work...lol

9. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Stay home if you like but hands off!!! [​IMG]

10. Wheely

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
    still waiting on the one that had slowed down ....beak is almost compleatly out of shell but has not zipped...think she is a big chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by