Update: was seeping egg day 5 now day 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazcat70, Dec 10, 2007.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

And I cracked it open to check it out. Never again!!! It was awful!

I have in the bator some eggs that I picked up here and there. This one was a very pretty light blue. I have a very large selection of colors (had 42.) I was not even sure if anything was fertile. I bought farm eggs, some at an auction (it was cold out, about 30 degrees) and some from a person's home (they were in a refridgerator). I had them separated into locations and I was going to keep them that way in the bator but when my daughter dropped an egg, well that went out the window. The ones from the auction were being sold by someone that was selling lots of birds...but who knows. So this was really an experiment.

I had candled some last night most were too dark to see anything. The 2 blue eggs were really dark. Do you think that the other is bad too?

Good news! We saw veining and babies in 3 eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will most likely be doing a REAL candling in about 5 more days and at that time mark on the eggs what I see. I will keep you updated.

Tonya

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    OHH YUCK!!! That happened to me and I cracked it open the house stuck like death. It was horrible. I don't think I will crack a stinck bomb egg again.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] Ya'll are nuts! Cracking a rotten egg! BLEGH!

Sorry you had to experience that, both of you! Ick!

Best of luck with the next candling!

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    If you grow curious ever again... put the egg in a ziploc bag and crack it open outside. It really helps with the odor and makes clean up really easy.

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:That's what I do it really does make it easy.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nope...not cracking a seeping egg....usually means it's had a hairline crack from the get go and all that would be in there is stinky mess...nope, not opened one of those...yuck

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I am never going to do it again!!! Seeping egg equals running it outside to the trash IMMEDIATELY!

Lots of people open them to look and see, well I now know why it wasn't mentioned about a seeping egg. It is common sense not to open it.

Curiosity killed the cat. And then the house stank for an hour.

Tonya

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  8. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    LOL yeah lesson learned. I opened it to see if anything had started to grow in it. Well it had a small little chick only maybe a week old, poor thing was dead because of a hair line crack and bacteria. Yuck next time I will just toss it. Besides the fact that it was gross it was really sad to see the baby chick in there dead.

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Rotten egg is the worst smell!! I've never had them burst in my house, but I was standing beside my DD one day when she found and egg and proceeded to squish it with her shoe! YUCK!!

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I had one really bad one that I found seeping blood and it turned the tray in the bottom green! I freaked out, thinking that if I touched it, it might explode. I got it out, took out the turning tray very carefully, and washed the tray with bleach before returning it to the incubator. I would have died if it had exploded and stunk up my house and ruined my eggs!

I also dropped one by the front door one day when going to dispose of the rejects. I thought the hubby was going to kill me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by