*Update* Weak Legs. Sick? Injured?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsazoo, May 10, 2009.

1. itsazoo

itsazoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    One of my 3 week old chicks started acting strangely this afternoon. She just sat and peeped -differently than usual- while the rest of them ran around. Tonight she seems to be having difficulty balancing. She's sitting away from the rest, out from under the heat light, still peeping like something is wrong and she seems to rock back on her heels if she had them and almost falls over. She's very lethargic. She's also shaky, like if she were panting or shivering?

She doesn't have pasty butt. I don't know any other symptoms besides what I've listed.

I just moved her into her own box with some food and water.

Anyone know what is wrong or have suggestions of something I can do. I already lost 1 of these 25 at 4 days from unknown causes, I don't want to loose another!

Thanks!!!

Edited to give more info:

I should add that the heat is monitored in the brooder, at this point (3 weeks) it's 80F.

When I moved her into the little box I made the temp in there about 80 in the warmest spot and 75 or less in the coolest. She's still sitting exactly where I put her an hour ago. She's still shaking some, not holding her wings out like she's hot though. She's stopped peeping and seems to be trying to sleep.

I have 25 of this age so I don't know if she's pooping or eating. Since I have her isolated I'll know later, but that doesn't help now. I did notice that her tail feathers are a bit "chewed up", but one of the babies has decided today that pulling other chicks feathers is fun.
    The rest of the chicks are acting normally.

*Another Edit for more info:* (moved from another post down the thread

Now that she's isolated and I can watch her closer it seems that the problem is with her legs. They don't seem to be working right. She leans backwards and her feet contract or arc upwards oddly and it's as if she can't stand. She doesn't move except to get away from me when I tried to catch her in the brooder or to give her a drink, but it's more like she scoots. She'd acted no differently than the rest until today.

I do not have any electrolytes or vitamins. Our barn burned last year with all the animal supplies in it and I've not gotten any for the chickens as these are my first chicks. Instead, I tried dipping her beak in sugar water but she doesn't like to be handled and won't drink (I hear that Appenzellers are "flighty" by nature). I moved her closer to her water so she can drink without moving. She did poop in there but it was drier than it should have been so I'm sure she hasn't drunk enough today. She is still very lethargic.

1am: She pepped up for a few minutes when I was out checking on her just now and ate a little and took a few little drinks (didn't raise her head when drinking though like usual). I'm hopeful that it's a good sign.

This morning she's eating, drinking & pooping normally. She's still "sitting" and seems unable to stand on her feet much. She gets up on her "knees" and scoots around in the 1' x 1' box that she's in. When she tries to preen her wings or her back she starts to fall over to the side. She's gotten up on her feet for a few seconds but then she sits back down. Mostly all she's done since from 6-8 this morning is eat, drink and sleep.

I'm stumped.

*Another Edit for more information*

While looking for a list of Cocci medications I found this...

"Forced exercise or sudden scares can result in pulled muscles, slipped joints & lameness."

Yesterday, before I noticed her acting weirdly, I was near the brooder when my phone rang and all 25 chicks panicked and ran into the corner under their box. I didn't think of this till now, but could THAT have caused THIS?

I have 25 chicks, 3 weeks old, in a 6' x 2' x 3' tall pen. I don't think they're overcrowded, but when they all get in one place...

Sorry for all the edits... just trying to get all the info in one place. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could be of more assistance, but I have no idea.
    Is she eating and drinking and pooping?
    I think it is a cold night in western PA, so staying away from the heat lamp is real odd.
    Someone must see something in this that we don't.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  3. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    info moved up to 1st post

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you are doing the right things, 75 to 80 should be good temperature ranges for a 3 week old. Keep monitoring what she is doing and let's hope she recovers.
    My only other thoughts are the conditions in the brooder, crowding, too much light etc. There is probably a reason the others were picking at her tail feathers.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

try dribbling a little lukewarm sugar water along her beak (be careful not to overdo it so she doesn't aspirate it into her air sacs) . Give a few drops along the beak and let her take it a little at a time. This may help give her a little energy, especially if she's not eating. Do you have any vitamins and/or electrolytes? I hope your baby makes it.

6. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Info moved up to 1st post

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    are you using medicated starter ? If not the problem could very well be coccidiosis (you will need meds to treat that> your feed store should have) ... you can also offer a live culture yogurt... not sure how much aid that will be at this late date but will help in a general way. Cocci kills quick so do not wait.

8. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    I thought the major symptom of Coccidiosis was blood around the vent or bloody diarrhea. She has neither. Are there other symptoms of this that I'm missing?

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    that is true in the later stages... there are several strains of cocci.
    The symptoms you are describing are also symptomatic of cocci in the beginning fase... cocci kills so quickly
    If others are not yet unaffected they will be attracted to the red color and eat it so it might have been there (yukky I know but this is how early signs are often missed)

10. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    OH I didn't know that! So can I treat for Cocci just to be sure then? I'll google it and see if I can find out what the treatment is. Should I treat the rest of the birds as well although none of the other 24 are showing any symptoms?

I never knew they could get this if kept inside. Even my feed store said I didn't need medicated starter since the brooder is in the house. Live & Learn...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by