( Update )What Breed is He?

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
Hello all, Chewbacca is our newest member two our little flock, he needed a good home because he was in a batch of sexed hens that some people had ordered, can you believe that! :gig So they said they didn't need him and wanted to rehome him, Chewy is 2-1/2 months old and they didn't know what breed. He sure is a friendly little guy who doesn't mind being held. :) I am guessing Chewy is a mix of some kind, does anyone know? :confused:

Attachments

• Chew 01.jpg
    Chew 01.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Chew 02.jpg
    Chew 02.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If you look at the hatchery websites you'll see that they all have some kind of chicken that's expected to lay green, olive, or other colored eggs. None of these varieties are APA accepted breeds (though they might be in the future), but, rather, they are carefully-bred hybrids of one of the blue-egg breeds with a darker and/or higher-production breed that have been selected over time for the production of interesting eggs. :)

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/olive-egger-chicken/

https://hoovershatchery.com/oliveegger.html

https://hoovershatchery.com/starlightgreenegger.html

Most of these egger hybrids are not bred for a specific coloration so they're hard to identify if you don't know where they came from and what name they were ordered under because they are selected for eggs not looks. :)

I was able to contact the previous owner today and he told me Chewy did not come from a hatchery, friends of theirs who have a farm had some baby chicks to rehome and he though they were both hens at the time?

He also said he thought the mother was a Brahma hen and that the father was a random Rooster and he didn't know for sure which one. He also told me the other reason he thought Chewy had Brahma is because of the feathers that were starting to grow on his legs.

I done a little research on the Brahma breed and was happy to find out that the Roosters can be docile and not aggressive. Hopefully Chewy matures into a friendly Rooster and stays that way, so far he is a nice little Roo to have around. :)

Hello all, Chewbacca is our newest member two our little flock, he needed a good home because he was in a batch of sexed hens that some people had ordered, can you believe that! :gig So they said they didn't need him and wanted to rehome him, Chewy is 2-1/2 months old and they didn't know what breed. He sure is a friendly little guy who doesn't mind being held. :) I am guessing Chewy is a mix of some kind, does anyone know? :confused:
If you really want to know, ask the people where you got you’re cockerel from more info.
Ask for info from the hatchery, what they ordered, pics from the pullets. If you share some of that info here, we probably can help indicate.

I was able to contact the previous owner today and he told me Chewy did not come from a hatchery, friends of theirs who have a farm had some baby chicks to rehome and he though they were both hens at the time?

He also said he thought the mother was a Brahma hen and that the father was a random Rooster and he didn't know for sure which one. He also told me the other reason he thought Chewy had Brahma is because of the feathers that were starting to grow on his legs.

I done a little research on the Brahma breed and was happy to find out that the Roosters can be docile and not aggressive. Hopefully Chewy matures into a friendly Rooster and stays that way, so far he is a nice little Roo to have around. :)

My Light Brahma rooster, Marion, was quite mellow. He wasn't a cuddle-pet -- which isn't what I'm looking for in chickens anyway -- but he would let me handle the hens, watching me but making no aggressive moves.

@3KillerBs ok , Now I am picking up on what you are laying down, Thank you, great information for this Newbie. :)

Chewy will have a great home as long as he behaves himself. Our four young Isa Brown hens didn't think much of him showing up, so we kept him in a large dog crate in the coop last night for his own safety until everyone gets a little better accounted. Our ducks didn't seem to care he was there so that was good to see.

The two little girls who had Chewy must have played with him because he seems very friendly and don't mind being held. Hopefully he will stay that way once he has matured. :) We didn't plan on a Rooster in the flock, it just kind of happened. :gig

@3KillerBs Mellow in a Mature Rooster I think is a good thing over something too aggressive. I do understand they have a job to do to protect the hens, It's nice to know that Chewy may turn out and be mellow like yours. Tonight when I had him out with the ducks and away from the hens, he decided to jump into my arms and then sat on my shoulder for whatever his reason? Goofy Roo. :gig

Chewy is still half the size our our four hens and with all their squawking they have made it known they are not happy he is a new member to the Flock. So I have to take a little extra care to keep him safe from the hens until he is bigger. Thanks again for the helpful information. :)

Back
Top Bottom