***UPDATE***What Happened????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Aug 11, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay... it's been three days now since I got that first egg. I have had nothing since... been searching all the hidey holes and nothing. I just can't believe that I have 38 hens, 10 of them being barred rocks and only one layed an egg. I have a few questions that I would like to ask if you eggsperts can help me out.
    Could the heat be the problem? But then again, everyone else is getting eggs in this heat.
    Will hens lay eggs in the dirt? Let me explain, we are in the process of replacing floors in our house so it is exsposed and the chickens go under there for the coolness... should I be looking under my home? There is just nothing under there but dirt.
    I just thought that since momma hen layed the first egg... I would have at least had another one by now. Did I do something wrong by taking the egg? Did I take it too soon??
    Should I just be patient and quit whinning?????????

Please help me to understand these hens... they are driving me nuts... and yes, I have fake eggs in their boxes!!!

Thanks for any help
    Tes

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I think you probibly should look under your house. If you coundt find eggs anywhere else, there probibly where youd least expect.

3. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I have one laying on the coup floor and one laying outside in the run. So go on a hunt, I'm sure there where you least expect them to be..

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes they have false starts at the outset. My Blue Orp Velvet did that. Her first egg was a double yolked egg with no shell and NO MEMBRANE, just sitting on the ground like someone had cracked it for breakfast. The next day, she dropped one off the roost that had a membrane, the day after that, she did the same thing, but this one had a soft shell. Then NOTHING for seven days. The next egg was a HUGE double yolker, then a tiny pullet egg and now she seems to be regulating herself and producing decent quality shells and sizes. So, it can take awhile.
    Then again, I have one new layer that just lays wherever she's standing-the pen, under a lawnchair, out by the compost pile, beside the coop, wherever. She seems to hate nestboxes, LOL. Do a search and if you dont find anything, they could just be gearing up.

5. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay, I went on my search, under the house, in the woods, the coop, under brushes, everywhere they go... and nothing. So, I can safely say and assume... like you said speckled hen.... they are gearing up. I might be lucky today... one of my hens keeps going to the coop, then out, then in, but not getting in the boxes.... just eating a little and drinking a little... Just keeping an eye on her for now... I think it is "momma hen" But they all look alike for the most part so hard to tell them apart.

Speckled hen - thanks for the info. and by the way, thanks for the information before on how to get some blue orps... I finally have my dh hooked on them [​IMG] [​IMG] wich means I will be ordering some next spring. I can't wait... I have fallen in love with them and feared I was not going to get any since the only place I could find that sold them were in Canada. But now, since someone has them here in the US... I am all sorts of eggcited!!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for all your replies, and I will quit my whinning and just be patient... uggg... 37 more first eggs to go... cant wait to see them!!!!!!

Tes

6. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

"Momma Hen" is in the box... does this mean.... ohhhhh happy daysssss

Will update hmmm... when she lays it.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Did she lay that egg?[​IMG]

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    where are we ordering blue orps from

9. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    UPDATE- No she never laid... just kept jumping in and out of the box and in and out of the coop [​IMG] I just dont know... and No eggs this morning. [​IMG]

mdbucks I am ordering them from ummm... ooppss have to go look.... Sandhill preservation. They have a real nice variety to order from... they are a little exspensive but better than the other price from the uk. Do you know of any other hatchery that has blue orps???

Tes

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Thanks for the INFO, I have been thinking I want 1(WHO WE FOOLING), but dont have a bator, what I really want is to go borrow suede for oh about 5 or 6 years I would take him back. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by