UPDATE...Who's the culprit of the first crow we heard?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by comptonsgonecountry, Jul 4, 2011.

1. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Could this one be it? Also, what breed does this one fall into. I know he/she is Banty, but looking through pictures of different breeds just has me confused. Could he/she possibly be a Sebright?

[​IMG]

How about this one. This is one of the more skittish Banty's we have running around our farm. Shot of his/her comb. He/she is a bearded silkie, so as far as wattles go... I haven't seen any.

[​IMG]

A cutie for sure

[​IMG]

Not the best side shot. Sorry

[​IMG]

I'm thinking female from the top hat. But those tail feathers have me second guessing.

[​IMG]

Tail feathers...

[​IMG]

Another Tail feather shot...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I say pullet, roo, roo. Most likely it was the silkie who crowed first. He seems to be the most mature of the three.

3. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    I guess it would help out if I posted their age. They are 11 weeks of age.

I say pullet, roo, roo. Most likely it was the silkie who crowed first. He seems to be the most mature of the three.

Could you educate me some on why you think the polish may be a roo? I'm lost with this one. The top hat looks so much like a hens, but the tail feathers look so much like a roos. Also, would you have any clue to what breed the first pullet would be. Thanks so much for your help, Elphaba2140.​

4. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Not sure about the fluffy 2 but the first one is a pullet, so not her! [​IMG]

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    that banty hen looks like one of my dark chocolate coloured Old english game bantam hens. If its from Ideal it very well maybe a dark choc OEGB.\\

The silkie is a roo, that head screams roo!

The Polish i dunno

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Could you educate me some on why you think the polish may be a roo? I'm lost with this one. The top hat looks so much like a hens, but the tail feathers look so much like a roos. Also, would you have any clue to what breed the first pullet would be. Thanks so much for your help, Elphaba2140.

Sure-A rooster will have a messier head with the feathers going out in all directions like yours. A hen will have a smoother and rounder head feathers (like a round ball) and usually no stragglers popping out.

Here are some excellent examples on Feathersite.com

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolish.html

I have a golden polish pullet and she has a nice round smooth puff. I don't have a picture but could get one if you would like. Also, your bird is getting curly tail feathers. A pullets will stay straight. Hope this helps.

7. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    My golden laced polish is 11 weeks also and started crowing a couple days ago. Yours crest looks like mines crest so it could be easily be your polish that crowed.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not the first one. Either the silkie or the polish.

The polish has the spiky hairdo, not the rounded "poof" the hens have.

9. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    Thank you all so much for your help. You all helped us narrow it down, now we will have to keep our eyes and ears open.

[​IMG] We are thrilled to have two roos. Now we have to see how they will do with having 7 girls to share. I'm not sure how that will work out seeing that the recommended number is 6 to each roo. Here's hoping for the best.

10. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    Okay, I know this post is old but I thought I would update. Fluffy butt, our silkie, has been crowing for the past week on a daily basis. Today he put a show on for me while I was gathering veggies from the garden. He threw his wings back, stretched out his neck and puffed out his chest... out came a Cockadoodledoo. I caught him in the act for the first time! We would hear him but could never see who the culprit was until today. I'm so proud of him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by