Update-Why won't my silkies go into the coop? See post #9 for picture

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hoover67, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    DH build a wonderful, elevated coop (1.5' of the ground) and run for my daughter's silkie and the chicks. The silkies will not go up into the coop. She puts them into the coop on really cold nights. This is getting to be a pain. She has to crawl into the pen and reach way under the coop. Is this normal for silkies?

Michele

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I've heard silkies don't roost. I don't have them myself, but maybe that's why they want to sit under the coop. I'd cut the legs off that coop.

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    My silkies went into coop... maybe they can't figure out how...

4. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    You could also block the underside of the coop so they can't go under there. You can teach them to go up the little gangplank by scattering scratch on there for them to go up there.

5. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Try throwing some scratch on the ramp and in the entrance to the coop. If the coop is new, it could also be that they are sensitive to the smell of the new coop. If you could upload some pictures of the setup it might help us come up with some other ideas for you to try.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Maybe put up up some chicken wire or hardware cloth around the entire bottom of the coop so they can't get under the coop. Unless the purpose of the coop being 1.5' off the ground is for shade. You may have to keep physically putting them into the coop nightly until they figure out that's where they're supposed to go. I have 2 silkies, but don't have a problem at all with getting them to roost. They hop from one roost pole to the next highest one until they get to the one at the top (6ft!). Mine get their roosting cues from the other chickens I have though. If you don't have other chickens to show/teach them where to roost, you'll have to be their leader and show/teach them. Maybe there's a specific reason as to why they're not going into the coop such as mites, rats, etc.?? [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Mrs.Puff :

I've heard silkies don't roost. I don't have them myself, but maybe that's why they want to sit under the coop. I'd cut the legs off that coop.

This is FALSE. Silkies DO roost, it's just that most people have their roosts too high for the silkies to reach them. Anything taller than 1.5 ft. and the silkie can't get up, so they just sleep on the floor. My silkies do roost, just depends on the height of the roost.​

8. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    My Silkies do not care to roost on the perching rods or on the tree branches that are in the coop; however, one night I accidently left a milk crate in the coop, and the next morning the top of the crate was one giant fuzzy mass of white. Now there are 2 crates side by side to hold 9 Silkies and the 4 Belgian d'Everbergs that use the Silkies as "blankets". (It is the funniest sight to see these 4 little red heads poke up out of the White Fur Sea when I come in the coop.

Katie

9. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Here is a picture of the setup. It is raining today so the photo is not great. There is a ramp that you can barely see. This coop is directly across from my mirror image habitat for my button quail and hopefully finches.

Silkie coop - DH built this just for them. The bigger mutt chickens were not very kind to her!

[​IMG]

This is the button quail coop .... just for grins!

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

10. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Huh- Well Year of the Rooster says silkies DO roost, they just need a shorter roost. Probably cause they don't have solid flight feathers to get very much lift. So sounds like you should block off the underside of the coop for a while, and they to lure them up into the actual building. Then maybe once they get used to going in there for a few weeks, you could open up the blocked off area so they will have full range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by