UPDATE Wing bone question. GRAPHIC PICS

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
My 1.5 week old chick injured itself, shattering the larger wing bone entirely and completely exposing the smaller wing bone still intact. The wing was still attatched by flesh, which I severed and removed. It had already started to discolor and get mushy, but still had some blood flow and had not become necrotic yet. The chick is still very active, alert, eating and pooping, running around w/ it's hatch mates and mom. My question is what to do if anything w/ the two bones, the one that is shattered and jagged, as well as the one that is in tact.

small inner circle is the jagged bone end, the larger circle shows the wing nub w/ some swelling, not sure if it is infection starting or just from the trauma.

here is the in tact wing bone

short circle is the jagged bone, long circle is the in tact bone

showing he is bright and alert this is 12+ hours after the event.

again showing both bones. The wet is vetricyn spray.

The severed wing.

I would recommend checking with a vet or avian vet, since compound fractures and amputations can be infected so easily. There are some various threads if you search at the top of this page also. Read this link below concerning broken bones in birds, which has some excellent advice if you scroll down the entire article:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

birdskeleton.jpg

Last edited:
The week this happened I was swamped at work and not feeling well, so had decided not to do anything to repair it, just wait until the little one got ill and cull. But it never got sick, it has continued to thrive. The long intact bone has disappeared the short jagged one is still there, no infection or problems. Here are some pics from a few minutes ago.

It's good to know that your little turken is doing well, and I hope she continues to get better. It is so nice to have ine survive from such a bad injury.

Back
Top Bottom