Update...Winterized tractor... and new girl pics

ChickMomma

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
I brought two new polish chickens home yesterday with the expectation that my DH would have put a door and closed up the front of my tractor so that I could use it during the winter for their confinement period, but he did not touch it. So...

I need Ideas as to how you would seal it up. Here is a picture of the front that is not closed in.

P1010209.jpg

It would need a door in it and I think the door needs to extend to the top of the roof because it is difficult for my standard chickens to get onto the roost from the inside. With the polish's feathers I dont think they would be able to do it. I also have a large piece of plexiglass so they would have a window for light.

How would you close this up? I need to get it done today because they are still in a large box in my kitchen!
S.

Last edited:
The roost extends down the center where you see the cross pieces. You can kind of see it in this picture.

P1010352.jpg

Nice tractor! Could you cut a piece of plywood, to fit over the openeings....and screw them over the wire fenc? This way, come spring, you could just remove the plywood, and be ready for summer!

Here is the winterized tractor picture. I used plexiglass in the upper triangle so that they would get some light on the mornings that the sun gets up before I do! It is held in place by little plastic clips so I can remove it in the warmer weather. The door is also removable for warm weather. The only thing that I had to purchase was 2 hinges for the door and the plexiglass, but I found it in the discount bin for 1.00.

P1010464.jpg

I got to meet a fellow BYCer this weekend and she gave me two polish hens. They are a little ditsy but very lovable and fun to watch. One even blessed me with the cutest little egg this afternoon.

P1010460.jpg

S.

Thank you RChicks,
I made the Tractor out of leftovers from building my coop. I have some construction pictures on my web page that is linked in my signature.
S.

Back
Top Bottom