1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update with new pics still wanting advise. pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nichole77, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    My chicken was brutally pecked on her head and neck by my other hens. I found her Sunday morning and she is alive and well. I went to the feed store and got a product they recommended. It has a wand like rubber cement. I put it on twice a day and keep her confined to a cat carrier in the bathroom. She gets clean newspaper and water twice daily. She has some air under her shin on one side of her back. I read the info on dhunicorns site and followed the directions to deflate it. It did deflate but is filling again. Right now my main concern is a floppy piece of flesh that hangs from her head. Her ear seems to be attached and when she shakes her head blood splatters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    Poor baby. Ihope see gets better. I can't help with any medical questions, i am still to new.

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Oh my goodness, poor baby!! [​IMG] I would be using neosporin so it doesn't get infected. If what you are using is an antibiotic, then that is okay. Other than that, keeping her warm and quiet and non stressed is going to be very important. Is she inside? Can you keep her in a dog kennel? Then she won't have to go far for food and water. Lots of warm yummy eggs, oatmeal, some scratch for treats etc. Good luck and keep us posted!! Blessings, Suz

4. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Tats exactly what we're doing. I just don't know about that flap.

5. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    My bloody ear experience is only with dogs but it may be relevant. [​IMG] I guess there are some fairly major veins in the ear area, and in dogs an artery. You can get it to stop bleeding, but, almost any new trauma like scratching or shaking will pop it back open if you don't have it cauterized. I would call the vet.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Is there any chance you could place the flap back where it should sit and use medical tape to hold it in place? That would keep it from swinging around, causing further trauma when she shakes her head.

I am new to chickens but I have had many animals all my life and used to work for a vet. I am not a doctor but if I were in your shoes thats what I would do...with a little antibiotic ointment under there for good measure.

7. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    That was a good idea. I went and tried it but it has already started healing and she is nit comfortable with it pulled back. It has been 4 days. On day one I put it back where it was supposed to be with some ointment but when I tried to clean it the next day it just flopped over. I can see some parts on the edges dying off and any exposed flesh with good blood flow is healing where it is. I am using multi care liquid wound care on it twice daily. I started with cleaning it the best I could and applying a silver based ointment. The next day I tried to wash it down but because of the crevices and feathers and location of the wounds I was afraid of a secondary infection or a mold growing due to not getting the area dry. So this stuff keeps it clean and disinfected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by