UPDATE WITH NEW PICTURES: Sick wyandotte, dripping poop, not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunshine23, Nov 26, 2012.

1. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    ***UPDATE WITH NEW PICTURES***

I gave her a warm bath and a little while after she pooped something that look like a piece of bone, it is hard. Any idea what it could be? it's definitely not an egg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need help identifying what my hen has

I have a flock of 4 and she's the only one sick

She's a golden laced wyandotte, 2 years old, she's not laying and not molting either. She does seem interested in food but won't eat anything. She walks slow

She's been acting strange for the last 4 days, not eating and her feathers are puffed up most of the time, she's not broody either

Her poop varies in color, one is yellow and the other seems normal

I have have attached pictures of her and the poop

Thanks for the help
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Acefit411

Acefit411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Catskill, NY
    Hi Sunshine23,

I went through this same number with my BR (Bea) the start of last week...It started with me noticing that she wasn't eating cracked corn (her favorite), then watching her move more slowly then the rest. Standing puffed up and on one leg sometimes. Turning her nose at almost all food. Her poops were just like your hens, then have since turned out to be watery, white, or very bright green pieces.

Another indication that something was wrong was her crop was not nearly as full as all the other hens. When they don't eat it scares me!

My first thought was she was egg bound (I had not gotten an egg in a few days). I brought her in and gave her a warm bath for 30 minutes and cleaned her dirty feathers. Then I thought she had worms. I wazined the flock. Then I felt her crop and remembered that this was the hen that ate something she shouldn't have (ugh, a push pin).

I have done everything I can for the crop now, she is eating very little and she has a vet appointment first thing in the morning. At this point if nothing else is wrong with her, she might have a crop infection or is getting an upper respiratory cold.

I brought my girl indoors for three nights so that I could watch her more closely. I think that would be the best thing to do now for your girl. Give her water with electrolytes and what ever food she will have. Take lots of notes.

I hope she is feeling better soon...keep us posted ;)

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When mine are sick I:

• Bring inside and provide heat.
    • Do thorough exam.
    • Dust for mites/lice with poultry dust even if I cannot see any.
    • Weigh on digital kitchen scale, daily. Bad sign if losing weight.
    • Worm with Safeguard for Goats (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) @ 50mg/kg (.5cc/kg), by mouth, repeat in ten days.
    • Watch for several hours.
    • Inspect poop color, smell, etc.
    • If not eating/drinking and crop is empty, tube feed small amount of Pedialyte.
    • If crop clears, continue hydrating.
    • Once hydrated, tube feed baby bird food.

Depending on what I observe, I might give antibiotics by mouth.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Here see if this sounds like her. Vent Gleet

Birds can show some or all of the following symptoms:
    • Depression
    • Loss of energy
    • Rough feathers
    • Diarrhea
    • Distended sour crop
    • Slow growth
    • Weight loss
    • Decreased hunger and increased thirst
    • Soiled vent feathers
    • White sores near the vent
    • Loss of feathers near the vent
    • Reddened or swollen vent tissue
    • Gray powdery or black waxy substances on the vent
    • Very bad smelling droppings
    • Patches in the throat that look like yeast or wax
    • Unexplained laying problems
    • Swollen vent

http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent Gleet

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're right, it could be. But many of those symptoms fit so many other diseases, too.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good luck at the vet and please post an update!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That looks like an egg that she couldn't pass, but your bathing her relaxed her enough for it to come out.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This it what it looks like if they don't pass it.
    [​IMG]

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Keep giving her the warm baths and do some research on egg binding, EYP and internal laying.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get yoursef some latex gloves and KY Jelly, too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by