Update with picture! Rooster fight. Bloody comb other injuries

Hennypen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
One of my roos got pretty beat up today. His comb is really bloody and both feet have open wounds. He's in the house now. I cleaned everything the best I could and put neosporin on all open areas.

What else should I do? One nostril looks like it's filled with blood but he seems to be breathing fine.

Last edited:
The comb/face area are really vascular just like in people. If the bleeding is stopped, I'd leave the nostril alone. You did well by using the antibiotic ointment. He will definitely need to be kept separated until the open spots heal, or the others will pick at them. You should probably try to find a way to separate him from the other roo, at least for a while. You should also keep him off the open ground until his foot wounds heal.

Quote:
Yep, good advice.
I would only add if you have any bleeding you need to stop-put some flour on the injury-works like a charm to stop bleeding.
Hope all goes well for you and your boy.

He'll be staying in the house a while. We have a sick cage set up when ever a chicken needs a litttle r'r.
smile.png

The roosters's right nostril is smashed closed. I can take him to the vet tomorrow. Should I or can I do something at home? I'd rather keep him home if possible so I don't expose him to illnesses outside the farm. This is one rooster I can NOT lose. He's a gorgeous silver pencil plymouth rock.

89deec7c.jpg

bf82bf19.jpg

Last edited:
He sure is a handsome boy. I'd probably just clean him up real good with some salty water and use neosporin on any wounds. make sure it doesn't have the pain killer that ends in caine. Or use some water down betadine and clean his wounds with that.

Any idea on how to get his nostril open? When he runs (chased him around the house a little) he has to breathe out of his mouth. He really needs both sides open.

Back
Top Bottom