Update with video***Wry neck silkie rooster not eating

I might do that. I decided after writing my last post to not give up just yet and I am going to treat him the rest of the day and overnight for an ear infection. At this point it can’t hurt. I did treat him last night but didn’t bother today because I was distracted by him not eating but it helped last time quite quickly.

I wish there was more I could do for him :( he had this before but not as bad and I treated him for an ear infection and he was better right away. Nothing is helping this time. I will keep him fed and comfortable. I hope he isn’t in pain. I’m just letting him sleep now.
He had this before... how long ago??

Do you use a regular chicken feed?

In 10 years... I have YET to see a chicken with an ear infection... what did you do to treat that?

Marek's is HIGHLY suspect at this point. :( Birds can survive it and may have it flare up again... over and over. Depends on the strain and the bird. Getting a necropsy if he passes or you decide to euthanize will confirm or alleviate these possibilities. Here is a link to resource for necropsies and answers in BC...

(Necropsy) - Province of British Columbia

:fl

He had this before... how long ago??

Do you use a regular chicken feed?

In 10 years... I have YET to see a chicken with an ear infection... what did you do to treat that?

Marek's is HIGHLY suspect at this point. :( Birds can survive it and may have it flare up again... over and over. Depends on the strain and the bird. Getting a necropsy if he passes or you decide to euthanize will confirm or alleviate these possibilities. Here is a link to resource for necropsies and answers in BC...

(Necropsy) - Province of British Columbia

:fl
Not very long ago. Not as bad at all he was holding his head at a 90 degree angle and when I was checking him I found lice. I saw them come out of his ears so I flushed his ears and gave him ear meds and his head/neck were straight again within a couple of days. He was also lice treated just after. He is on regular store chicken feed with 20% protein. Vitamin deficiency is possible because we have them house with no access to outside and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground. The article that was posted just above explains that wry neck is a symptom of many things, ear infection being one of them and Mareks as well. As we have had success before treating him this way then there is nothing to lose at this point. If its Mareks then all I can do for him is watch him die so I might as well attempt something while I do that. Today he is standing with his head straight, not walking, not crowing, not eating or drinking. His crop is emptying at night and he is having normal poops. If he starts to decline again I will take him in to be euthanized and have a necropsy done.

A40EBC9E-54FC-4611-9F7D-3D9A53C97927.jpeg

So we went to the vet today. I didn’t expect to leave with him but he’s had some shots of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and a vitamin boost shot. So far I don’t see any changes and that was at 3pm but we’ll see how he is tomorrow. If he is still in bad shape then I am going to have a friend come cull him.

Back
Top Bottom