1. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    all the ladies were alive this morning! Yay!
    But...I have one lil lady who has an injured leg. She can’t walk on it and she won’t take food and water from me. I feel certain she is in pain. But I don’t have the heart to cull her. She is with three other chicks in “sick bay” container. The other three are doing well. Help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad they made it through the night!
    Can you post a photo of the injured chicks - it's legs, how are they positioned?

3. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    Positioned normal. She just won’t stand on it. She tries to eat but falls over or gets knocked over. Tires easily

Attached Files:

Saaniya and Melky like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What does the hock feel like? Possibly slipped tendon? Any swelling?
    I would try to get her hydrated, do you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or other poultry vitamins? I would be good to get some B-Complex into her as well. For a chick that size, I would crush up 1/4 tablet and add it to her feed or dissolve it in some water and syringe it into her.

Saaniya, Eggcessive and Melky like this.
  5. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    No swelling or abnormalities that I can see or feel. I will get her some B vitamins. Thanks so much!

Melky likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you get a video of her?

It's not good if they won't eat/drink, so getting her hydrated is the first thing to do, then add some wet chick starter.

There's so many things that can go wrong with chicks legs. Slipped tendon, dislocation, etc. You'll have to try to figure it out. If she's in pain and can't walk, she's going to have a hard time surviving.

Eggcessive and Melky like this.
  7. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    I try to do videos but they never load for me.
    She is taking water from a spoon now and I added B vitamins and wheat germ.
    When she stands up on the good leg. The bad leg is shaking even when not using it.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The BYC upload does not work, you will need to upload to youtube, vimeo or similar, then provide us a link.

The shaking could be pain, but it could also be tremor. Do what you can to keep her going. Can you tell if the leg is dislocated?

Eggcessive likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might have been injured by the other chicks or landed wrong. Look for any sore spots on a foot or on her hock joint. Chick chairs can be a good way to set them in front of food and water, but as long as she is getting around on her legs, that would be best to keeping them working. Riboflavin in the b complex or in a poultry vitamin can help sometimes. NutriDrench is one that doesn’t have riboflavin (b2.)

Saaniya likes this.
  10. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    Oh...ugh. Ok well I will say she is a fiesty one! I did a thorough look and feel of both legs. Possibly dislocated but it seemed to be passively moved without that dislocating feeling. Just odd. But she does make attempts to move about hobbling on the one leg. Another interesting thing I noticed is her wing on the bad leg side looks abnormal (loss of feathers). It seems she tries to use that wing to balance. She gets fussy when I separate her from the other two chicks in the brooder.
    no sores or wounds. But she had been pecked on the neck so she may Miley for injured. She’s now getting b complex w/ riboflavin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: