UPDATED 12/12- PIC-VERY GRAFIC I had to amputate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinenot, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    My chicken burnt her feet on a light bulb trying to stay warm and I posted about it last week....well I need advice and help finding info. I have been caring for her feet with antiseptics and she does feel better. She eats, drinks, poos fine, but....one of her toes is turning black and I am afraid the toe is dead. The toe nail is even black.

How should I treat this?

Does a toe just fall off or should I take it off? We don't have a Avain Vet near by.

Can you help or at least help me find info about this??? I have been searching and I can't find anything to help.

[​IMG]

This is her little feet.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
  3. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    I have a direct email in to Dr. Peter Brown that I emailed yesterday and he hasn't emailed me back. I don't know if he is at a show or what...I wish he would email me!!!

I will go to that site and do what you suggested and see if he will respond quicker there.

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    wish i could help ya but i dont know what else to say. maybe some one will know more than me.

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Not seeing a pic, it sounds necrotic (dead) to me and you seriously run the risk of the whole body going septic and losing her/him. Not sure about chicken course of illness and whether there is a chance it will just fall off? In humans, it would require surgical amputation. Have you called any vets to find out whether they would be willing to help even though they don't specialize in chickens/poultry?? This is a tough one, hopefully someone will have better input than me. Good luck, I'll be praying for you!!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Usually when a part's black it's ready to fall off or come off...

7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Pinenot, how's she doing?? Have you heard back from Dr. Brown? How does the toe look?

8. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    I have not heard from Dr. Brown. I went on his site and he hasn't responded to it either. He must be out of town.

She is hanging in there. I am worried about the pain. What can she have? Can she have ibuprofen or tylenol? How about Exederyn?

She is eating, drinking and pooing. I soaked her feet last night in luke warm water and she just stood there. She is such a trooper. I pealed some of the white loose skin and put lots of anticeptics on. I just don't know what to do about the black area...I wish he would get back with me.

Thanks for checking on our butterscotch.

9. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ask vets aroud you and see if they treat birds, you can be suprised.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You can put plain old Aspirin tablets in the water....2 or 3 should be plenty...I don't think the other stuff is good for them....

Edited to add...It's 5 Reg. Aspirin (325 mg) per gallon of water for pain...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by