***UPDATED!*** 15 mos old Barred Rock hiding, yellow/green watery diarrhea, weak, NOW NOTICED TO BE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DownwardDog, Jul 24, 2014.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Songster

I've had ongoing low-egg production in my flock of 10. 1 SS is broody, but still, I'm getting 2-3 eggs out of a flock of 10. Someone has had diarrhea for a few weeks, couldn't figure out who it was until yesterday. Our 15 mos old Barred Rock was the last one in the coop last night, moving slowly, poopy dropping on her butt feathers. This morning she didn't leave the coop but was hiding in a corner. I lifted her feathers out and she could tuck them back in but she was moving slowly. At one point she just stood in the middle of the coop, not moving, while the other hens moved around her to investigate why I was in the coop. I also noticed she has some black spots on her feet (not noticed if they were there before, the other 2 BRs don't have them).

Could this be a worm problem? Or some other disease? I've never dewormed them so I'm anxious. I'm also worried because I'm going on vacation in 3 days and I want to get her treated before I leave!!!! Please help!!!!

***AS OF THIS MORNING, I'VE ALSO NOTICED SHE IS WHEEZING. WHEN I PUT MY HAND ON HER, SHE FEELS SLIGHTLY LIKE SHE'S PURRING LIKE A CAT, SO I CAN ONLY ASSUME THIS IS CONGESTION IN HER LUNGS?

I CAN'T IMAGINE THIS IS MG SINCE SHE IS NOT SWOLLEN NOR DOES SHE HAVE DISCHARGE ANYWHERE.

THOUGHTS? I FEEL LIKE IF I DON'T MEDICATE HER WITH SOMETHING, SHE WON'T LAST. SHE IS NOT DRINKING AND I AM GIVING HER WATER BY SPOON. I'M FEELING A BIT FRUSTRATED WITH MY INABILITY TO FIGURE THIS OUT.***

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    She may be dehydrated from the runny poo. Look closely for any little tiny red mites. They wont live on the chickens but on the roosts and come out at night to feed on the chickens. Look around the vent to see if there are globs of crusty white stuff around the feather shafts that would be lice. Are there are any other discharge or is she sneezing or coughing? Do you have any vet RX? [​IMG]

3. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Songster

I've never seen any mites, and we recently cleaned out the coop and replaced the shavings. No white stuff or signs of lice. No eye or nasal discharge, though she seems to keep closing her left eye even when her right is open. Pupils seem normal size. I did find a small nymph tick on her comb when I was inspecting her, but otherwise, nothing else. She had watery poop just run out of her when I was holding her, poor thing. I had her take a few sips of water before I left the coop and left her by the waterer so she wouldn't have to go far to get water.

I just called our Agway who has a local chicken "expert" and they were suggesting antibiotics in the water, but I would like a second opinion. Abx won't help if she still has worms, but I don't want to overmedicate her either!

4. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Songster

So, the Agway "expert" called me back and left a voicemail stating that he thinks it might be fowl cholera?!?! He also said it's "going around." This chicken doesn't have any swollen wattles though. Thoughts???

5. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    My hen is sick too with similar problems....hopefully someone will chime in soon....my first thought was worms too....I haven't ever wormed mine. I think I will split her off this evening and bring her inside. Try feeding yours yogurt with pro-biotics, it's supposed to help with digestion and plenty of water. My Leghorn Daisy has shown little interest in food this morning where she is usually the GLUTTON, so I'm keeping an eye on that as well....

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Use one wormer or the other and dose all your chickens 1/2cc orally undiluted. Repeat dosing in 10 days. If there isn't any improvement after worming, you could possibly dealing with an ecoli infection. One step at a time, worm your birds first. Don't let the chicken expert at Agway talk you into using wazine to worm your birds.

7. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Songster

I see that TSC sells SafeGuard. Now before I use it, let me add that I had a red sex-link with a swollen eye last week. It was only one side and went away after a couple of days (my daughter thinks it's still "slightly" swollen though) -- could this be related or was it just her getting stung, which is what we thought? If it was cholera, wouldn't BOTH sides be swollen, including the wattle? I'm wondering if deworming the sick hen might make her worse if parasites aren't her problem? I'm not against getting a fecal from the vet for her.

8. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Songster

She is actually wheezing now, but I haven't seen her sneeze.

9. Decodogs

Decodogs Hatching

Mar 12, 2014
    I am seeing the same symptoms in three of my older hens, they do nor want to move much and sound like they are " purring" or gurgling sound. Any suggestions out there to help us? :/

10. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    It sounds more like an upper respiratory infection to me....in all animals it presents with wheezing/sneezing/watery eyes.....also I feel like I was just reading about something like this with chickens as I have been scanning the forum for answers for my sick hen as well...let me see if I can find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: