1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATED 3 Week Old Chick, Can't Stand/ Broken Leg/ Back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LolaBlue, Feb 22, 2013.

1. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    I just went to let out our chickens and noticed 1 of our 3 week old chicks didn't come out of the coop with the others (they're in there with mum and 4 other adult hens).
    Had a look and it's laying on the ground, splay legged, unable to stand.
    It was completely fine when I locked them away for the night.
    It's moving the toes on one leg, but the other just seems to be sticking out behind it.
    I'm wondering whether one of the hens has jumped off the perch and landed on it, perhaps?
    It's cheeping like it's in pain.
    Any suggestions on anything I can do for it?
    Any other idea what it might be?
    Help! :(

2. LolaBlue

Oct 10, 2010
    Anyone?

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Oh goodness, no improvement? At this point, I would separate it from mama and make sure it's nice and warm, see if it has any interest in eating and drinking on it's own. I agree with you, it seems like an injury would be most likely as if it was nutritional, someone else would likely be showing symptoms too. At just three weeks, I don't know what pain relief options would be... I know people use aspirin in adult chickens, but I have no first hand knowledge of that. The leg that is stuck out behind it, does it seem to have any range of motion in the leg?

4. LolaBlue

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks for the reply TeamChaos.

I actually separated it as soon as we found it and placed it in a box with some food and water.
    It's drinking a little when propped up to reach, and seems to be pecking at the food.
    It had it's wings splayed earlier and I was concerned it was it's back, however when I hold it it can move both wings about.
    If I hold it on my palm I can feel it trying to weight bare on them both, however it can not support itself.
    I've noticed it's passed a bowel movement which seemed quite normal.

Would a photo be helpful at all?

5. LolaBlue

Oct 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

I figured a photo of poor little Fabio/la couldn't hurt.
    You can just see a toe of the effected foot peeking out from beneath it's rump on the left.
    I'm extra desperate as if s/he doesn't survive it will be the 3rd chick we've lost this week.
    We lost one on Monday to what I think was heat stroke (it was wondering around her dazed and confused in the sun whilst all the others had sourced shade), another on Thursday due to an overzealous toddler :( and now this.

For what it's worth, it's not acting lethargic or subdued at all, but I'm also realistic and have a syringe full of a "green dream" on hand, just in case.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
  7. LolaBlue

Oct 10, 2010
    We must have cross posted TeamChaos, his photo is above.
    Thanks for the link, off to have a read.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Huh. It looks like a spraddle leg to me, but I know it's a little bit old per that website I linked. Hmm.... if the little one is eating and drinking and you're willing, it'd be worth the time to try.

9. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  10. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by