UPDATED 7/15! NEW PICS Sebastopol Geese 5Months old. What Colors?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by JordanFamily, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Ok here are my babies... They are around 5 months old right now... The white geese don't look as curly as the gray or the buff... And speaking of the buff... Why is he so light? is he still considrered buff even though he looks white to me? I can just barely see some light buff in his saddle feathers? So is he buff??? And Are they all Curly, Or smooth, or something inbetween. Thanks

Here is a pic of the one I think is a gray and the other is a white Seb. Is the white a smooth?
    [​IMG]

Here is another pic of the gray? and two white... Do the whites look smooth in this pic? Does the gray look gray?
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of my buff... His buff is so light and I only see it in his saddle feathers so is he a buff, buff splash, or buff saddle back??? He is the curly one in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Here is a better picture of his buff color. He is the one hiding behind the tree on the right. You can only see his back... Is he buff??? Will his buff color spread out and get darker as he gets older? he is only around 5 months old right now.
    [​IMG]

HERE ARE SOME BETTER PHOTOS, AND THEY MAYBE 4 MONTHS OLD....
    PIC OF THE WHITES> CURLY OR SMOOTH???
    [​IMG]

HERE IS A PIC OF ONE OF THE WHITES WITH THE BUFF. IS HE A BUFF, BUFF SPLASH, or BUFF SADDLE BACK???
    [​IMG]

ANOTHER PIC OF BUFF BOY:
    [​IMG]
    AND A CLOSE UP OF BUFF BOY:
    [​IMG]

UPDATED AGAIN 7/15: He does have the color in his flights and a little of the same colors on his back under his wings and top tail feathers... Can't see the back feathers that well in pics, they are real light but are not all white...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???? Is he a blue, buff, or somey=thing else? Dorathy said he maybe a light blue??? But is not a white... THANKS

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    You're geese are beautiful. I agree your Buff really is light...I have no idea how I'd categorize him...I'll let someone else chime in on that...really pretty though.

3. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    It looks like you have a curly gray and a couple of smooth breasted whites with not so much going on with feather right now. Maybe not as old as you are thinking? See what happens but smooth breasted with lots of feather where they should have it usually feather very quickly. Allowing for monitors and how the same picture can come across differently to different people I am seeing a curly white bird with some shading in the rump area. Not a buff. Looks like a female? most likely? Is that bird tame enough that you can get a sharp, up close photo showing the rump area? That would help. At this point I see nothing to make me think this is a buff but I am having to go by a less than wonderful photo too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Hi DaveK & OP,

I was thinking the same thing earlier it is very hard to see on my work computer. I just checked again from home and it looks like the goose in question has buff coloring on the wings only. At first it sort of looked like a shadow from the tree but I can see it better on this screen here at home. The coloring on the wing is very, very light and it does look like a buff color.

OP - am I right?

5. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    [email protected] acres farm :

Hi DaveK & OP,

I was thinking the same thing earlier it is very hard to see on my work computer. I just checked again from home and it looks like the goose in question has buff coloring on the wings only. At first it sort of looked like a shadow from the tree but I can see it better on this screen here at home. The coloring on the wing is very, very light and it does look like a buff color.

OP - am I right?

updated with new pics look again please.... Thanks​

6. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:Updated with new pics please look again... And the buff is the only one I'm SURE is a male... I turned them over and sexed them and he was the only one with a definate cork screw wrapped looking falis thingy comming out... So MALE definately... When they were still very young I also thought I saw one of the whites with a falis but now every time I sex them only the buff shows his for me... So I can't wait until next spring to see who lays eggs in this bunch... Thanks

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Why do you think you have a buff?
    Buff is a light tan color.
    It looks like your "buff" has light grey shading.
    Maybe its a splash or sometimes juvenile females have light grey
    on their rump and tail area.

These are greys....
    [​IMG]

You might possibley have a blue
    but maybe its just how it looks on my monitor.
    Where did you get them from?
    You might want to ask the people you got them from.

This is a blue saddleback and shows the typical sb pattern.
    I don't think there are buff saddlebacks BUT I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  8. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Great pics this time and sorry to say that is not a buff in any way, shape or form. That shading is not the usual gray rump of a juvenile but isn't something that's never been seen before. Unless this bird is a unique individual he will end up as white as any other Sebastopol.

9. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Since this person is new to Sebastopols I was alerting them to the fact that
    juvenile females will sometimes display grey on the rump area.
    JordanFamily I know its all very confusing in the beginning regarding colors.
    Last year on the Sebastopol forum we didn't even know the difference between
    a blue and a grey. [​IMG]
    Collectively we're learning as we so along.
    You will find more helpful info and photos on the Sebastopol forum.
    Glad you've joined us there and feel to post ANY questions.
    Keep us up to date on your Sebbies progress.
    Oh and hey! Congrats on the successful vent sexing!

10. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG]

This is a smooth breasted Buff female. If your baby was a buff it would have grown in the buff feathers from the beginning.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by