**UPDATED AGAIN! Chick can't walk!****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aggieterpkatie, Jun 22, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I have an 8 week old frizzle bantam pullet that is having issues walking and staying in a sternal position. Now that I think about it, she's always been slightly funny...she had a slightly funny gait and has never really kept up with the rest of the chicks her age, especially weight-wise. She's very thin.

I have her separated and she's eating and drinking well. She's alert and bright-eyed. She is just having trouble using her legs properly, and perhaps having issues with balance.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? She's one of my favorites, and I'd hate to lose her!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. hawtchick

hawtchick Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I know that sometime vitamin deficiencies can cause things like this, and if she is being kept away from enough nutrition when she is with her flock due to pecking order that could cause it.
    Try some poly-vi-sol without iron liquid baby vitamins in her water.
    Good sign that she is eating and drinking on her own.
    I am sure someone here more knowlegable will be able to help you more.
    Good luck!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Perfect advice! Good luck.

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Doesn't Marek's Disease cause paralysis?

5. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:I was wondering about that. I called TSC where I got her as a chick this year, and they didn't know if the chicks had been vaccinated or not. I am going to call Mt. Healthy and ask if they know.

6. hawtchick

hawtchick Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was wondering about that. I called TSC where I got her as a chick this year, and they didn't know if the chicks had been vaccinated or not. I am going to call Mt. Healthy and ask if they know.

From what I understand Mareks would cause her to not be walking at all, not just having problems walking.
    It really sounds like a deficiency, and at the very least while she is separated you could treat her for the deficiency which would not harm her.

Hopefully somemore people can chime in....

Have you noticed any lesions on her? That could also show up if it were Mareks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:No, I haven't noticed any lesions at all.

8. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, last night her toes started curling and they're still that way this morning. She's still very alert and seemingly happy. Any thoughts?

9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok, I think she might have curly-toe paralysis, which is caused by a riboflavin deficiency. What can I give her to help with that? Yogurt? I'm going to look for those baby vitamins today. I didn't have a chance to get them yesterday.

Does anyone know how long it will take for it to be corrected if this is in fact curly-toe paralysis?

10. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm not sure if anyone is even paying attention to this thread anymore, but I just wanted to update y'all. [​IMG] I gave her a dose of the baby vitamins today around 4:30, and when I checked on her around 8 she was standing up and walking a little! She's still kinda wobbly, but MUCH better than she was this morning. I took her outside and let her eat some grass, which she really liked. Hopefully she can re-join the flock in a day or two.

THANK YOU for the suggestion of the vitamins!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: