Updated Coop & Run **pics** Can you tell me the best way to winterize?

walkerkm

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Ma
Hello everyone!

I have a few photos here of my coop, run, and hens.

Looking for the best way to winterize the coop that i had made.

Thank you all for the many suggestions that i found on this board for feeders, nesting boxes... the PVC method works so great! Everyone here is soooo helpful.

Please let me know your thoughts about how to I can prepare for winter here in Massachusetts-what my hens need to stay in the best possible health.

thanks!

37262_shed_2.jpg

37262_p1010020.jpg

37262_p1010029.jpg

37262_p1010028.jpg

37262_p1010031.jpg

37262_p1010024.jpg

37262_p1010021.jpg

First, your coop is awesome. Looks like quality work!

We can get some serious snow here at times, I don't know about your area? Maybe if the run had a pitched roof it would shed some of the the snow, but you can scrap it off from time to time?
I will be closing in two walls of my run, the north and west walls. It will help to keep the snow at bay a little better providing more outside time for the birds.
I don't see electicity, really nice to keep the water unfrozen.

Just a couple of suggestions...

Again great job!

Last edited:
Your coop and hens are lovely! What a nice little area you have set up for them. They look like they will be nice and snug. Maybe check for drafts around the window and door, but I bet your girls will be just fine.

thanks! The run will have a roof on part of it. I am just concerned that they will still be cold in the coop if i don't give them any heat. At this time we do not have electricity to it. I can run an extension cord and add a heater of some sort, but i'm afraid of possibly causing a fire. I read that the birds that i have are good to temps of -30 - -40, but that seems awful cold to me. I want to give them the best possible care.

Nice coop. The only improvement I would make is your roost. It looks like it's facing small side up. I would be sure to use a 2x4 with the flat 4" side facing up. It's important that their feet are flat and they can cover their toes when they roost to avoid frostbite.

Hopefully it'll be a mild winter, but somehow I doubt it! Good Luck!

I agree with the previous posters -- very nice coop
smile.png
, turn your roost so they're standing on the wide side, and build some internal props for that run roof or it will come down in a wet snowfall.

My only contribution would be, if those are vent openings that I think I see sorta hinted at up under the roof overhang, that may be enough; but if not, or if they are small, it would be worth creating some winter-worthy vent openings *now* (see link in my .sig below) because it's much less pleasant to do in January
tongue.png
Humidity in the coop is really the biggest risk factor for frostbite, in a Massachusetts type climate, not cold per se.

If you wanted to put a droppings board under the roost and scrape it off every morning (elapsed time, 10 seconds, yes *literally*) that would further reduce humidity in the coop; but good ventilation, without drafts blowing right at the chickens, is the biggest thing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

thanks Pat. The cut outs on the sides are small openings for the windows that just got delivered today. wanted to make sure that the girls had some air in the meantime.

Under the overhang (front)-which is enclosed underneath, my husband put in a series of small round vents (front and backside)-they are about 2-3 inch diameter and there are 6 in the front and 6 in the back this way the coop can breath nicley. We will flip the roost tomorrow and add a dropping board, per your suggestion.

thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom