Updated: Emergency: Found 4 month old Silkie down: Possible head injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyAz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I think his head is injured, but not super bloody. Could one of my more agressive mama's hurt him that bad?

I have put antibiotic cream on the spot. He isn't waking up and is still breathing.

Not sure he will make it. Anything else I can do?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Yeah he is in my closet in the small pet carrier with towels around him.

4. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Could one of the other hens have pecked that hard to injure him that badly? I can't see any other way he could've gotten hurt in the chicken coop.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Does he have a vaulted skull? It's very easy for Silkies to develop head trauma, particularly with holes in their heads. And yes, a hen could manage the damage easily.

If he has brain damage, there's nothing you can do to help him, unfortunately. You can wait to see if he'll wake up, but it might be kinder to put him down.

Do you have other young silkies in a coop with older standard birds? I can tell you from experience that's a recipe for disaster.

6. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I don't have standards in with my Bantys. In this pen is a silky hen with 2 two week old chicks, another silky hen and a banty cochin x silky hen and her 2 week-old chicks.

I'm sure his skull is vaulted.

7. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I will keep him comfortable tonight and keep an eye on him. my husband will be home later so if he isn't getting better we will put him down. Poor little guy.

8. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Poor thing. Sometimes these freak accidents happen and there's no accounting for them, especially with the fragile little bantams. I hope he pulls through, but if not I'm sure you'll make his passing easy.

9. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    What's hard sometimes is when to know it's hopeless and it's time to put them down. Sometimes is easy to see that it's time and sometimes not.

He made it through the night. He actually was sitting up this morning. Still very much out of it though. Eyes closed.

I have given him water from a syringe and also some babyfood squash. Just a little bit though. He is in the pet carrier, in my closet, in the dark to rest his brain. Sweet little guy. I don't know what will happen, but I guess I will give him a little more time and see if he improves or gets worse.

Sometimes I just don't know what to do.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by