Updated: Final Installment is up for How to Build a Chick Perch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamcuriositycat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I thought ya'll would appreciate this. I made a simple roost for my silkie chicks this past weekend, and posted on my blog the "how to" which is more funny than useful. With pictures! Some of them with chickens in them. Except not really.

And it's only the first half of the how-to, with the useful bits coming available on Friday. And actual pictures of chicks on Friday too. Still, if you've ever thought about providing your baby chickens with a cute little perch for them to ignore, and I haven't managed to talk you out of it, you must read this! (Or not).

How to Build a Chick Perch in About 15 Minutes

And in case you need a reason to build a chick perch, or just want another way to waste some time, or like cute pics of silkies (this is exactly the same link I posted earlier with pics of my silkies, jst fyi):

Why You Need a Chick Perch

Also, I would love to hear what sorts of toys and equipment you build for your chicks's entertainment. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Entertaining post. Here are some of my inventions.

Perch for chicks in the brooder.

[​IMG]

Chicken ladder. You can see a pullet perched on it.

[​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Your chick perch is WAY too simple. My way builds more character. [​IMG]

Very nice pullet perch. How is that attached to the side to keep it up like that?

You've clearly got this whole simplicity thing down. I could probably take a few leaves out of your book. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That's not a pullet perch, it is a ladder from their run to the entrance to the growout pen. It's wired to the fence.

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That's cool! Again--simplicity! I would have had all my scrap lumber and useless tools lined up trying to figure out how to make something fancy when all I needed was a branch and some wire. Thanks for the idea!!

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by