*UPDATED* Has anyone ever tried building one coop for roosting and another for nesting?

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
The coop is tall enough to walk in and is 8 ft by 4 ft with 3 nesting boxes sticking out the back. We like the lay out because we can pick it up with the skidster and rotate it from place to place. We went from 6 chickens to 12 and the coop feels WAY too small. The coop is currently not fit for all of those girls and they struggle to find comfortable roosts. (I know that needs updated badly)

Could adding a second layer of flooring count as adding square footage for our growing flock? We may end up having up to 20 hens if my habit keeps up! I truly want to scrap the whole thing and start over, but I am afraid my boyfriend will leave me if I do.
wink.png
He has made it very clear he doesn't want to spend anymore time on the coop, so it's all on me!

UPDATE: Ideas for building a new coop or renovating with existing materials on the farm:
Pallets, fence posts, old cedar, tin scraps, metal scraps, old tires of various sizes, different types of fencing and so much more! I love the beautiful coops everyone has , but am working to make this habit as CHEAP as possible (i.e. we only buy chickens and feed)

Help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Do not want to sound harsh but I would totally start over from scratch. A lot of the wood is molded and falling apart, it should have some type of protective paint as well. There are also lots of cracks meaning that rain and other precipitation will get in. The dangling electrical cords are going to lead to disaster..

If you want 20 laying hens at 3 sq feet each that is only 60 sq feet which means you could have a 6x10 building.

I agree. It is time to build a new larger coop.

Have you looked trough all the coops in the tab above? Tons of wonderful coops and super ideas to spark your creativity. Chicken tractors are a great way to move chickens to new ground.

For my 21 hens I made an eight by fourteen coop. Remember that you need to subtract the square footage that feeders and nest boxes take up from the total usable square footage.
My huge coop feels very full with 21 in there.

I don't think the two story idea is all that great. it will be to hard to clean.
that many chickens will need a little floor space also.
20 chickens need about 60 square feet of floor.
If you can tear that one apart and make it 8 x 8 and add a roost on the sides you would be ok.

Last edited:
I think going bigger then an 8x8 will be needed for 20 chickens.
Most folks will recommend 4 square foot of floor space per bird. I see Buff Orpingtons which are a mellow breed BUT they are also large. I would stick with the 4 square foot per bird.
That means for 20 birds an 8x10 would be minimum size.
Feeders, water dish and nest boxes being inside dictate even larger.

Cost is important to most people. I offer a few suggestions to cut costs.
As you know there is value in pallets.
Here we have a place that sells second hand doors and windows. I got siding that was new but had minor damage to the ends of the sheets. I paid 7 dollars for each 4x8 sheet.
I would call the business a reclaimed building materials store.
Craigslist can be a hit and miss but worth looking at.

A pic of the coop built with the reclaimed siding.

This is my small 6x8 coop. The maximum number for this coop is 10.

Last edited:
I think that's in no shape for chickens , mold and rotten wood is just waiting for disease to follow , he won't leave you.. it will be a growing experience for you both
1f60a.png

Last edited:
I've found my poop boards stretch my 'floor space' during frigid winters cabin fever......that coop is too narrow for elevated floor space.

Last edited:
I agree. It is time to build a new larger coop.

Have you looked trough all the coops in the tab above? Tons of wonderful coops and super ideas to spark your creativity. Chicken tractors are a great way to move chickens to new ground.

For my 21 hens I made an eight by fourteen coop. Remember that you need to subtract the square footage that feeders and nest boxes take up from the total usable square footage.
My huge coop feels very full with 21 in there.
I'm curious, are they just in your coop at night? Or more often? My chickens have a 20 X 20 ft yard and I let them free range whenever I am home. It is just at night that they are all adjusting to the added numbers in the coop. The pecking order has been thrown, but prior they were all super cuddly with one another. I'm seeing a whole new side to them and I know it is because they are feeling crowded!
We are planning to rebuild this spring! Just have to find some time. I have looked at the coops online. The problem is we are trying to build it at no cost using the TONS of scrap wood from around the farm. I wish I could have a fancy, brand new coop, but that just isn't in the cards for us at this point.

Back
Top Bottom