UPDATED..HELP!!...IT'S HER LEG!! 4 month old Brahma sick....broody??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sadies chicks, Jul 11, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    So I go out this morning to let the chickens out of their house and Montana, my 4-month old Brahma is laying on the floor and would not get up. I spoke with her, nudged her and eventually made her stand up so I could see what was going on. She made it out of door and in to the yard, so I was thinking well maybe she was just having an off morning [​IMG] I go about my chicken chores and see her walking around the yard and think things are good. About a half hour later I look out the window and two of the other girls are pulling Montana's feathers out on her back and yanking so hard on her head trying to pull THOSE feathers out that they are moving her [​IMG] around. So, emergency action gets started cause obviously something is wrong. I have her in my cat's carrier (thanks Louie) with vitamin/electrolyte water and mashed eggs with yogurt and a splash of buttermilk. She right away started eating, almost like she hasn't eaten for a while and I thought...oh god...she is starving! Even though she is the largest of my birds she has always been on the lower end of the pecking order and I wonder if the other birds aren't letting her eat? Which is weird cause there is tons of food and I see her eating often.

I have checked her throughoutly for mites/lice/fleas, etc, and am finding nothing. Her vent looks normal. She couldn't be going "broody" could she??? She has not laid yet. She just lays and is like all the energy is sucked out of her.

I am open and thankful for any suggestions!

and thank you to everyone at BYC, I am on this site religiously and from reading other members emergencies I knew right away what my first steps were and there was no panic, just action! [​IMG]

Poor Montana
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How does her poop look? Have you checked for parasites (mites, lice, worms)? Theres no place in the pecking order for the sick or injured, and flockmates can be brutal to someone who is off. I wouldn't think she would go broody that young, but stranger things have happened. Good luck!

3. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    UPDATE: So my wonderful DH goes home for lunch and checks her over to find out she isn't sick, her LEG is hurt. [​IMG] I then had to drive home to check her out myself and from what I can tell it is internal like a strain or a sprain...I don't see ANYTHING on the exterior, no wounds, no weird looking flesh, so that makes me think it is internal. She will NOT put any weight on it, forget it. She has a good appetite but is tired, probably from the pain.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime while I wait to see if it starts to heal? I have no clue how this happened...it was either sometime overnight or in the early AM when they all pile around the door waiting for me to come and free them. For now she will stay inside so I can monitor her and so she has direct access to food and water.

thanks!

4. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    anyone? anyone?

5. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Is anyone able to help? [​IMG]

6. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont' think I can help. I had a hen break her leg and we opted to cull her because it was such a bad break. If you don't feel anything broken i would maybe try to splint it and see if at least she can hop around. Best of luck. Here's a bump.

7. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Thanks! I definitely don't feel any breaks, so I am hoping time can help heal it.

8. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Try giving her some milk every day to help her bones. Maybe it is a fracture? My chickies LOVE milk as a treat, so she may like it. Good luck with her [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You keep those biotches away from herrr!!! [​IMG]

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    One of my white pekin ducks hurt her leg when she was younger (my son tried to pick her up) and I left her be. She walks with a limp (easy to tell Fred from Sketchy that way, yes we have a girl duck named Fred) but she drops an egg a day and can swim. I did nothing but keep her confined a little more than usual, that's about it. Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by