(UPDATED!!!) HELP NOW!!! How to keep chickens not to fly to neighbors backyard?

RedBreasted

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2014
So my Black Breasted Red Old English Hen, she fly on top of the fence and into my neighbors backyard. I ring their door bell and tell about it and got the hen back. I am worry that she will be escaping again another time. How can I keep her not to fly over other people backyard? Please leave your response! I don't want her to fly in the backyard again or even worst like fly in the street and some wild dogs eat her. She didn't technically fly like a bird but she fly like a chicken. Is this a chicken behavior problem?

*UPDATE*
So I try to clip her wings or tape it but she won't budge. She is now trying to fly on my roof! Anything to help???

Last edited:
Will the trimming/clipping hurt the chicken? Is their a better way beside this and cooking it? :D

Will the trimming/clipping hurt the chicken? Is their a better way beside this and cooking it?
big_smile.png

it won't hurt if done properly. Very similar to trimming a dogs nails, you don't want to cut so far up the feather that it bleeds.

I have trimmed flight feathers on pet birds many times with no adverse results.

The way I describe it is this: Take the birds wing and pull it out so it is extended, you'll notice that the feathers are in overlapping layers similar to roof shingles. What I would do to pet birds(parakeets, parrots, cockatiels) is to trim the lowest layer of feathers up to the edge of the next layer up. Don't know if it matters or not but I never cut all the feathers in that row, I usually left the last one or two at the extreme end of the wing intact.

If this makes you nervous you can try not cutting as high up the feather so instead of trimming at the next level of feathers try only removing half of the feather between the tip and the tip of the next layer up.

You can tie or tape the feathers together. I read that clipping one wing is very efficient . as the hen looses balance if she tries to fly

So my Black Breasted Red Old English Hen, she fly on top of the fence and into my neighbors backyard. I ring their door bell and tell about it and got the hen back. I am worry that she will be escaping again another time. How can I keep her not to fly over other people backyard? Please leave your response! I don't want her to fly in the backyard again or even worst like fly in the street and some wild dogs eat her. She didn't technically fly like a bird but she fly like a chicken. Is this a chicken behavior problem?

*UPDATE*
So I try to clip her wings or tape it but she won't budge. She is now trying to fly on my roof! Anything to help??? 

Hate to break it to you but your old English game is a light brown leghorn, I saw her pic in the oegb thread, she looks identical to my light brown leghorn and she her plumage is to fluffy for an oegb and she has white ear lobes

Hate to break it to you but your old English game is a light brown leghorn, I saw her pic in the oegb thread, she looks identical to my light brown leghorn and she her plumage is to fluffy for an oegb and she has white ear lobes
just cut one wing, it will throw her off balance

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom