1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

UPDATED: I have a new goat kid at my mini farm.PICTURES!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sebrightmom, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I am so upset. I went to a man's house to look at some nubian goats. I wanted a few to add to my family. I wanted to milk them to give my family something healthier to drink. I had nubians years ago and loved the breed. Anyways, I picked out three nannies that were perfect. So, he told me to call his daughter because she wanted to keep 5 from the 60+ goats. I called her and she told me that one was not for sale. I understood and I asked about the other two. She gave me a price and told me that she would come home to make sure they were the ones she was thinking about. I called her a few days late. She still didn't go to her father's. I guess she has her own house and hasn't see the goats in months. Her father is getting sick of taking care of these many, plus paying for all the food for them. She told me she was going later that day. She called me back later that day to inform me that she is keeping all of the three I picked out. I was looking so forward to getting these goats to my mini farm. They were sweeties. I wish I would of never gone. I guess now, I have to start looking for some other ones. I am alittle disappointed. I had everything ready for them. I just had to vent.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm sorry. That would have been soooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!! :thun

I understand the issue with the daughter and father not being on the same page but I still think they should have talked together before he offered them for sale. The father should have known up front which goats his daughter would sell and which she wouldn't so he could have told you immediately when you got there to look at them.

Sounds like the daughter needs to 'let go' of some of the goats. She's not being fair to her dad at this point.

I'm looking for a good quality Nubian milking doe right now also.

Good luck to us both![​IMG]

3. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I feel so bad for the dad. It is a lot of work for him to take care of them. I think if she wanted them, she should of been helping take care of him. It is so hard to find a good goat for what I want. I have looked at several goats from different people. I just fell for these. I really just wanted atleast one of them. I just guess it wasn't meant to be.
    Good luck to you, too. I wish now, I would of never sold mine after I got out of the fair. I was going off to college and my mother didn't want to take care of them. I understood, so I sold them to several nice people atleast they got good home. The search is back on.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    She should be there everyday to take care of them if she wants them! She should also mark those she is keeping so her Dad knows when someone comes and they won't end up like you. Sorry you didn't get the ones you wanted and hope you can find some others.
    [​IMG]

5. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I agree with you. She should be there to take care of them. Her dad has a very nice set up for the goats. He has alteast 4 pens that I saw. All she had to do is move them to a different pen. I tried calling her father today, because we were suppose to go and get them this morning, but no one answered. I called several times lastnight and even left a message with his wife. They haven't called me back. I don't want to seem to pushy. My father in law wanted to go and look at the other goats they have. I guess they don't want to sell them as bad as they said they did.

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Any chance that those you sold your goats to would be willing to sell their offspring back to you?

7. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    It has been over six years since I sold my goats. I don't know how to get ahold of one of the men that got half of them from me. The other people don't have the ones we sold them. They were older ones. Last time I talked to them. Two of the older nannies had already past way. I hate to go to the sale barn, becuase you never know what else you will bring home. But I might go to two this week. Maybe I can find some there.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Since you don't already have goats, and you know what to look for, you might be ok at the sale barn.
    With feed prices ever increasing, a lot of people are selling off decent goats.
    A few suggestions would be to get there early and see who is bring the goats in and stop them and ask them about their goats. If they were pets, if they have been vaccinated.
    I would avoid goats that livestock sellers bring in. Just because the seller won't know much about them.
    Get your hands on the goats you are interested in and check for lumps on the body and head and neck.
    Check their hooves for any sign of strong odor.
    Pull down the eyelids and see if they are red underneath the eyeball. If they are white it could be a heavy worm load.
    Check the teat size...make sure they are big enough to hand milk.
    And check for friendlyness. They will be a little nervous, not knowing what is going on around them, but avoid the ones that are hiding at the back of the pen or act real flighty.
    Animal sales aren't the best place to buy from, but with a little knowledge, you should be ok.
    Goat people, what did I forget to ask her to look for?

9. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    I had a similar experience with a woman who had about 100 Mini Horses at her Dad's.

She had them divided into three herds and just rotated the Studs around for a couple of years before selling them and buying new blood.

You couldn't touch a single one of them. I'm talking wild as Marsh Hares!

I pointed out 11 that I really liked the looks of and - I'm not kidding here - every single time her response was, "That one belongs to my neice/nephew (pick a name)." A different 'owner' for every single one I liked. [​IMG]

Jeez Lady [​IMG] - how many neice/nephews do you have??? [​IMG]

Finally pointed at my last choice - a real cutie; little Pinto with a dish face. All the while thinking, "Wonder who she'll say that one belongs to."

Imagine my shock when she agreed to sell her because she 'didn't like her'. [​IMG]

Hope your next search goes better then the last one.

10. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Just a thought...if your looking for pet quality, check your shelters and human societies. We've gotten three over the years that were rescued. One a three legged Nubian, she is the sweetest one yet, even out of all of the registered ones. If your looking for show quality check with fair board members to see who some good area breeders are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by