updated I know who my daddy is now

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suzeqf, Nov 4, 2011.

1. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have a 3 1/2 week old "big chicken banty" as my hubby calls him and I have no clue who the dad could be the only thing I know for sure is that his dad is not one of my banty roo's. Grayson was hatched by my OEGB hen Smores but she's not his bio mom because he didn't have any chipmunk coloring like she did as a chick I think my black OEGB is his bio mom because he's got her flying ability and he looks just like she did at his age. His dad could be a Lav Orp,Blue Andy or Ameracana or Aracona(sp). This is a pic of him now

side view to show legs:

[​IMG]

front view with wings spread he's got huge wings to be so little:

[​IMG]

front sitting view:

[​IMG]

just for fun it's not that good of a pic but this is what he did when the cat walked in I took pics of him inside since it was 40 degrees outside.

[​IMG]

Grayson is now almost 8 weeks old his dad is my Splash blue andy roo and I'm pretty sure his mom is my Blue OEGB he looks just like her and is as big as she is and he's starting to get his comb and waddles he's a very handsome young man, I'll try to get a decent pic of him if I can keep him still long enough he's really enjoying hanging out with everyone but he goes back in his kennel at night he's not quite ready to go without heat just yet.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    In the pics his legs look green. If that's the case, I'm saying the Americana is da baby daddy. Maybe you should call Maury!

3. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    Quote:I hope you're right this is Apollo my Ameracana Roo and this morning I noticed a bit of white on Grayson's next and it's hard to tell by the pics but Grayson's neck and face are starting to get a bit puffy like Apollo's did as he got older. This is my handsome boy Apollo

[​IMG]

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Simple color genetics:

if mama is black then daddy has to be blue or splash, cuz that little boy chickie is blue. Andalusian blue is simple dominant. Lavander/self blue is recessive.

BTW, your AM roo looks splash, not blue. So all his chicks should be blue. The darker splotches of blue are the give away.

5. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    Quote:That helps a lot so it's between my Splash blue andy and Apollo I have a blue blue andy but he has sight issues and can't really see and is in self impossed excile because the other boys beat him up and have a black ameracana but he's only got eyes for his girl and no one else.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:That helps a lot so it's between my Splash blue andy and Apollo I have a blue blue andy but he has sight issues and can't really see and is in self impossed excile because the other boys beat him up and have a black ameracana but he's only got eyes for his girl and no one else.

Well, black plus black will never equal Andalusian blue, so it can't be the black AM.

What's your splash blue Andy? or a Blue blue Andy?

The other thing I noticed is your baby has a single comb. If Apollo is homozygous for pea comb (which he should be if he's pure AM from show lines because the breeder would have bred out the single comb, if he's from hatchery stock, it's anyone's guess), baby should have a compound comb as well. If he's hetero for pea comb, it's a fifty-fifty shot. Pea combs (and other types of non single comb) are dominant to single combs.

I hope this makes sense to you.

7. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011

Well, black plus black will never equal Andalusian blue, so it can't be the black AM.

What's your splash blue Andy? or a Blue blue Andy?

The other thing I noticed is your baby has a single comb. If Apollo is homozygous for pea comb (which he should be if he's pure AM from show lines because the breeder would have bred out the single comb, if he's from hatchery stock, it's anyone's guess), baby should have a compound comb as well. If he's hetero for pea comb, it's a fifty-fifty shot. Pea combs (and other types of non single comb) are dominant to single combs.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Apollo is from breeder stock and my blue andy's came from McMurray's I prob needed to say I have a splash blue andy and a blue andy, I'm so used to having to explain what color the boys are. So since Grayson has a single comb his dad is prob my splash blue andy.

Now you've got me curious I also had a silver blue OEGB banty chick that didn't make it and it's mother was the same color silver blue could Apollo or one of my Lav Orps have been it's father

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    You don't usually find any birds still carrying single combs in AM's. So, it's a good guess that it's not Apollo's if you have some kind of single comb blue/splash roo around.

Also, I don't really see any muffs/beard either. Muffs are the same way-they are dominant. If Apollo is homo for muffs, all babies will have muffs. With the muffs, one copy of the gene will produce muffs, two copies produce larger muffs. With chicks, you can always see the muffs when they hatch, but they can sometimes "disappear" during the growth phase and come back when completely feathered in.

Even if Apollo is only heterozygous for both pea comb and muffs, it is unusual that neither trait would come through, since both traits have a fifty-fifty shot. And if he's homozygous, both traits would show up in all of his offspring.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    My vote is for the Blue Andalusian as the dad. The chick lacks a muff, pea comb, or any other signs of being related to Ameraucana blood.

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

id say blue andalusian is the father. look at ur chicks feathers. i see darker coloring around the featehrs as u would see in some blue andalusains depnding on where they came from. my blue came from my pet chicken and has very little lacing on his feathers. but i say that the father of ur chick is blue andalusian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by