Updated!!I need MORE help!!! Chick with bloody tail feathers..Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hopefulloflove, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Ok, this chick is not bleeding from the vent..but her tail feathers and but are bloody..I fed them all this morning, and all was well, ran to the bank, came back home and checked on them aagain and this little girl (her name is pretty) had some of her tail feathers gone and some broken off, and was bloody...I saw some of the other chicks peckng at her tai, I also have seen her peck at it, but not sure if it's because it's hurting or because she caused it to start with ....they are 5 weeks old...we have taken her out and put her away from them, but what do I need to do now? To help her heal and to keep it from happeneing again! Help!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    anyone?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Spray her tushy with Blue Cote. The bright blue color isn't really attractive to chickens, plus it will help her heal.

4. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thats what I would say to,blue kote works great for that

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I third the blue stuff. We had the paint on kind and had to put it on one pullet with a bloody backside and she is fine now (not as big a tail as the others but still doing great).

6. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thanks everyone! Pickied up the blue stuff while I was out today!! Can I put heer back in with the others with the Kote on, or should I wait?

7. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Anyone?

8. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    My Light Brahma pulls her tail feathers out, and I started her on Blue Kote today. I stuck her back in w/ the rest of the flock, as she was doing her usual stuff. Her beak is dark blue now too [​IMG]

9. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    LOL..Oh my!! Ok, I will put her back in and see what happens! Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything I shouldn't! [​IMG]

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Once I blue koted, I placed them back together. They couldn't see the bloody area so they all just left it alone. However, with the feather picking, you will have to watch and make sure that doesn't continue. I used Farmer's Helper Babycakes to help with pecking issues. It gave them something to do besides peck each other. I also would throw a handfull of grit or old fashioned oats in to give them something to entertain them!

Just a tip, from someone who learned the hard way, make a template out of a paper plate or anything...the size of what you are spraying. I sprayed my daughter and my son purple before we figured out to use a template [​IMG] Purple chickens are funny...a purple daughter and son...funny at the time but not so much later [​IMG]

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by